1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Take power for outside light from switch inside front door?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by miracleboy, 19 Dec 2016.

1. miracleboy

miracleboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just moved in somewhere and there is a broken solar outside light just outside the front door, which I want to replace with a PIR mains light.

There are 2 switches inside the front door just inches from where I want the light on the outside, so would be ideal if I could utilise one of these.

I know I will need a neutral in there in order to be able to do so, but am a bit confused by the wire colours.

The 1 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, yellow (with red sheath) going into L2 and blue (with red sheath) going into L1.

The 2 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, 1 red and 1 yellow (with red sheath) going into L2, and 1 red and 1 blue (with red sheath) going into L1.

Can I replace the 1 gang with a 2 gang and do it that way, or does it look like there is no neutral and I'm going to have to lay in some 3 core from the ceiling rose (or cut into the lighting circuit with a junction box elsewhere)?

Many thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. miracleboy

miracleboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    2 gang photo

Attached Files:

4. miracleboy

miracleboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1 gang photo

Attached Files:

5. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If, as you seem to be describing, all the wires from the cables are connected to one or other of the switches (with no other wires connected to a loose terminal block or suchlike) then, unfortunately, that means that there is no neutral available at the switch (which is the traditional, and still the most common, situation).

Kind Regards, John

6. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your terminology is confusing. Neither of those switches are 2 gang (2 switches on one plate). They are both single gang 2 way switches and what ever they operate will have a second switch somewhere.

As John says there are no neutrals there.

7. endecotp

endecotp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The person who installed those switches has helpfully marked what they all are with the red sleeves. They are all lives (or switched lives).

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links