Take power for outside light from switch inside front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in somewhere and there is a broken solar outside light just outside the front door, which I want to replace with a PIR mains light.

There are 2 switches inside the front door just inches from where I want the light on the outside, so would be ideal if I could utilise one of these.

I know I will need a neutral in there in order to be able to do so, but am a bit confused by the wire colours.

The 1 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, yellow (with red sheath) going into L2 and blue (with red sheath) going into L1.

The 2 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, 1 red and 1 yellow (with red sheath) going into L2, and 1 red and 1 blue (with red sheath) going into L1.

Can I replace the 1 gang with a 2 gang and do it that way, or does it look like there is no neutral and I'm going to have to lay in some 3 core from the ceiling rose (or cut into the lighting circuit with a junction box elsewhere)?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
2 gang photo

Attachments

• IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 335
I know I will need a neutral in there in order to be able to do so, but am a bit confused by the wire colours. ... The 1 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, yellow (with red sheath) going into L2 and blue (with red sheath) going into L1. ... The 2 gang, 2 way switch has red going into COM, 1 red and 1 yellow (with red sheath) going into L2, and 1 red and 1 blue (with red sheath) going into L1. ... Can I replace the 1 gang with a 2 gang and do it that way, or does it look like there is no neutral ....
If, as you seem to be describing, all the wires from the cables are connected to one or other of the switches (with no other wires connected to a loose terminal block or suchlike) then, unfortunately, that means that there is no neutral available at the switch (which is the traditional, and still the most common, situation).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Your terminology is confusing. Neither of those switches are 2 gang (2 switches on one plate). They are both single gang 2 way switches and what ever they operate will have a second switch somewhere.

As John says there are no neutrals there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back