Taking an aerial cable from antennae on roof into loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an aerial on the chimney (terraced house) at the moment with a single aerial cable coming from it down the side of the house on the outside and entering the lounge on ground level.
i now want an aerial connection in the converted loft. how do i go about connecting another cable to the aerial on the chimney and then routing it into the loft? or should i be splitting the cable that exists already, although this would have to happen on the outside of the house where the cable runs.
and where would be the best place to enter the cable into the loft from outside?
thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Tb.Ex Roofer-
Hi-It generally depends on the roof covering Slate or tile.The easiest and most direct way generally works.There are two main types of pitched roof covering on domestic properties either single lap or double lap.Slates are always double lap.Tiles can be both single and double lap.The easiest scenario would be to locate a tile lap at the rear of the chimney for the cable to go under a tile lap and up to go through the nearest lap in the felt.
If the roof is an old roof it may be a tingle or strapped slate is in close proximity to the back of the chimney,if not you may have to strip one out,and a slate diagonally below to allow the cable through,to fix and re-strapp 1 slate only as necessary.(a double sided fix on 1no slate may be necessary.If the tiles are double lap at least they have nibs or lugs to the tiles can be easily re-fixed.The difficulty is generally having roof slates on,where if a slate is to be removed a slate rip/ripper is required.The cable has to go in at a point where it would have a good amount of head lap,and it is better to keep disturbance to a minimum,allowing cable up directly on a joint which has been made slightly wider for the cable access only,but it has to have sufficient headlap.There are units which allow for cables,however I have not seen these recently.

I would approach the problem from the other end, so to speak. Teeing a second coax from the aerial is likely to have undesirable effects on both the signal strength and quality.

Consider fitting a signal amplifier and splitter on the existing downlead in your lounge, and run a new coax lead from one of the outputs back up to the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back