Taking too long for hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have experienced the central heating boiler (at the back of my fire) making a louder whooshing noise than normal when it is on. The central heating is a GlowWorm and heats the water and/or the radiators. When it fires up it has started to make a high pitched noise as well. The water seems to be taking a very long time to heat up as well and the radiators are not as hot as they used to be. There is a dial at the front with min and max on it and I have turned it up and it fires up very often, still with the load whooshing noise. Any ideas what I need to do?

Sponsored Links
when was it last serviced (properly i mean not just a 10 minute vacuum job)?
It sounds like it's lighting back to the injector from what you describe.
A service should sort out the problem. Fire the boiler up, get down on your hands and knees and look under the fire. Do the flames from the boiler seem to be coming forwards out of the boiler? If they do switch it off and have it seen to properly. Unless you have an understanding about the characteristics of combustion of gas it's not something to attempt yourself.

Thanks for speedy response. I have been in the house for 6 years and never had a poblem so it hasn't been looked at. The flames do appear to be coming forward. Will I need to get somebody out or will I be able to do anything myself? If I need to get somebody out will it be a staightforward job or could there be a hefty cost involved?

you need to understand combustion to do it yourself so i wouldn't advise it. cleaning the boiler yourself could stop it lighting back and allow the flames to pass upwards through the heat exchanger but you also have to address the cause of the problem or you'll be back in the same position within a short time. a lot of people think a service is just a clean out, there's a lot more involved. besides the boiler being cleaned, burners (pilot and main)are dismantled and venturi/gauzes cleaned, gas pressures are checked and if needed adjusted and safety checks are carried out.
it's really a proffessionals job. most heating engineers will have a standard servicing fee which varies.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back