Talk to me about Garage Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we're looking at getting a new garage door but don't know what is better, Roller or Sectional?

Let me know what you guys think. We've been talking to our supplier but real world experiences are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Because of the winds we have here, it was suggested we did not have a roller, they do 2 types and one would be much lower in the doorway, then our currently up/over electric door
and the smaller slates would be blown in the wind and a problem with salt air

so we went for the same door as we had, although NOT waterproof
so beware what you choose and make sure its water proof , if needed
we had a Hormann 2002
fitted
and water came through the spot welds , and sides of the door
We also have a few heavy winds and because this door was manual and locked at the bottom only, with raised arms to go over wingmirrors - the wind blew the door open at the top

the company that fitted the door,. worked very hard to resolve as best as possible all of these issues, using filler and metal brackets

So the company we were looking at is called Easyfit and they seem to know what they are talking about so I might go with my instinct and buy roller garage doors. We don't have a massive garage and it looks like the best option for our tiny garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a roller very pleased with it, no need for tracking along the walls or ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure you have the height for the type of roller, My understanding is that there are 2 sizes of slats , and require a different headroom
, my son-in-law has recently had 2 sets of rollers all electronic & security sensor , lights etc
I suspect easyfit, just buy in the doors
also check the floor of the garage and make sure that is not curved

So we're looking at getting a new garage door but don't know what is better, Roller or Sectional?

Let me know what you guys think. We've been talking to our supplier but real world experiences are welcome.
Too little info. Detached ? will door be only entrance?

Last edited:
I got a 40mm insulated Ryterna sectional door, very happy with it and will get another for this new house.

Too little info. Detached ? will door be only entrance?

So it will be the only entrance to the garage as it's detached from the house. We're thinking Roller as it looks more practical and doesn't take up loads of room. We spoke to the guys at EasyFit Garage Doors and they told us that both would work on our garage.

Only downside with roller in your situation is if a motor fails how do you open it from outside?
Some up and overs can have a removable locking handle to allow access to a release cable allowing you to open the door in case of failure.

That's a good point. I didn't really think about that.

it didn't look as nice as an interior one, but someone that I worked with had a roller door fitted with the motor boxed in on the outside.
I think it was due to headroom, or some other building issue.
I guess security is a bit less, unless you can isolate the power somehow or close the cover with tamperproof screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back