Tap Bonnet Stuck - Replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a dripping tap that I've tried to change the washer on.
I've had grips and spanners on it but the tap bonnet will not turn to remove.

It's a victorian-style monobloc type with the plug attachment. I can get a similar style one for around £90 ... or I could try other methods such as heat gun/strap wrench.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips before I write it off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It has flats at the base for a wrench.
I'd say protect it from jaws with tissue/cloth but already looks as though the "shroud" has 'prentice marks all over it.

Try wd40 and/or limescale remover 20mins before attempting.

Sponsored Links
That chrome cover shouldn't be that tight. As above, wrap some cloth around it to protect it from a spanner, then you need to be pulling up on the spanner/ turning the cover anti-clockwise. A new tap washer might fix it, plus a clean up, but if not you can probably buy a 'tap renovation kit' - just the internal moving parts of the tap plus washer.

It has flats at the base for a wrench.
I'd say protect it from jaws with tissue/cloth but already looks as though the "shroud" has 'prentice marks all over it.

Try wd40 and/or limescale remover 20mins before attempting.

Tried with a cloth previously to no avail. Tried without too as the plan was to replace with a tap reviver kit. Tried boiling water WD40 and cleaning products. It seems completely stuck.

No joy with a spanner at the flats too.

a strap wrench is the best tool.

If you have room, two, so you can use both hands and there is not a sideways force on the tap.

Sold under such names as "Boa"

s-l225.webp

Quite a small one should do.

a strap wrench is the best tool.

If you have room, two, so you can use both hands and there is not a sideways force on the tap.

Sold under such names as "Boa"

s-l225.webp

Quite a small one should do.

Cheers - do Screwfix sell them?

Tried with a cloth previously to no avail. Tried without too as the plan was to replace with a tap reviver kit. Tried boiling water WD40 and cleaning products. It seems completely stuck.

No joy with a spanner at the flats too.

If you cannot shift it with a spanner, a strap wrench will not move it - they are not strong enough. What sort of spanner are you using?

You can make a strap wrench with rope and a stick, bar or screwdriver. Fold the rope (it would need to be not very thick for that) in half. Wind it round the cover, anti-clockwise, starting with the loose ends of the rope - a bit of tape on sticking ends to cover, will help them stay put. Wind over the top of the ends, then finally put your bar/screwdriver through the looped end of the rope as a lever. You may need to adjust where you begin wrapping the rope round, to get the best angle for the bar.

If you really want a strap wrench, they sell them in car accessory shops for undoing car engine filters. They do a more capable version, which uses bike chain instead of a rubber strap, but you will need to use a cloth under that to avoid damage.

If you cannot shift it with a spanner, a strap wrench will not move it - they are not strong enough. What sort of spanner are you using?

You can make a strap wrench with rope and a stick, bar or screwdriver. Fold the rope (it would need to be not very thick for that) in half. Wind it round the cover, anti-clockwise, starting with the loose ends of the rope - a bit of tape on sticking ends to cover, will help them stay put. Wind over the top of the ends, then finally put your bar/screwdriver through the looped end of the rope as a lever. You may need to adjust where you begin wrapping the rope round, to get the best angle for the bar.

If you really want a strap wrench, they sell them in car accessory shops for undoing car engine filters. They do a more capable version, which uses bike chain instead of a rubber strap, but you will need to use a cloth under that to avoid damage.

Was using an adjustable.

Was using an adjustable.

..and was the adjustable gripping the cover enough and not slipping off? It really couldn't be that tight - if it were, your efforts would be turning the tap body too. To stop the tap body turning, insert a suitable lever between other tap, spout and the wall behind it.

Try shocking the cover, with a hammer and a block of wood to avoid damaging it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back