tap connector problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am installing a new bath. The existing tap connectors do not line up with new bath tap holes...

The right hand connector (cold) is a pain because the pipe branches from the unequal T into a bend (so cant attach a flex on the bend) that is also short. Short flexible 22mm connectors do not exist it seems (shortest seems to be 30cm). My plan is to cut off the unequal T and replace it lower down with a compression T. Dont want to lower the T too much as will start clashing with other pipe behind it. I would then branch a short piece of straight 22mm pipe horizontally to the left and attach a flexible tap connector to this. Still, these connectors do not bend so much so would probably use a 50cm or even a 1m connector so that I can form a bend without too much strain on the flex connector and also the connection to the tap itself.

Aim to use flex connectors with isolation valve

The left hand (hot) feed will work ok with a 50cm flexible connector attached to the horizontal portion of the existing pipe from the T supplying it.

I attach a diagram of sorts of the existing setup and a photo (rotated accidentally!).

Any suggestions based on experience welcome. Thanks

bathtaps.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi JBuild.

What system have you got supplying your hot and cold.
What you are planning will work but maybe a couple of things to consider.
Sometimes using flexi tap connectors can reduce the flow especially on gravity systems.

Also would you be able to tighten them when your bath is in if they leak?

I notice you have the pipework firstly running under the bath. Could you T into there and aim to keep 22mm all the way to your taps?

Andy.

gravity fed but tank is effectively two floors up so pressure has been good. The connectors have service valves so can check for leaks before bath goes in and can just about reach them if there are issues.

Not so keen to branch pipes under bath as at some point I have to branch the cold to the basin and toilet as in diagram and the pipes will be close to the bath legs as it is. If you mean me to branch the cold pipe to run directly under the bath to directly under the taps and then T off then thats interesting but would have to cross the cold pipe over the hot pipe under the bath and I might end up clashing with the waste trap further towards taps if I did this. Hope that makes sense

I suppose it comes down to your plumbing skills.

If it was me I would try to keep full bore to the bath taps.
Some flexis you can get can be as low as 10mm bore which could restrict the flow.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
I stuck with my original plan and all worked well with 50cm tap connectors from screwfix (internal bore was about 12mm i think). Before putting bath in I did the hot tap connector and checked pressure by attaching hot tap connector to hot tap tail and blocked the cold end tap tail with a connector/isolation valve. Pressure was still strong but this is prob helped by header tank being 2 floors up and the fact that Im using taps by Bristan (Java range) as they tell you which ones work well with low pressure systems we often have in UK and have customer service second to none. many thanks to all for comments and cautions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back