Tap dribbles and pipes bang when heating water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have what seems to be a very old system boiler system. I have a boiler downstairs, hot water tank upstairs and a water tank in the loft.

My water and central heating is one system, with this I mean that I would have to switch the hot water and the heater on in order to heat the house. The central heating switch I believe turns on the heater pump which was replaced 2 years ago. In order to heat the hot water for a bath I would only switch on the hot water switch.

For the last year when ever I decide to turn the hot water on for a bath, the water would heat up but after 30-45min the water inside the tank would start to boil or sounds similar. During this time the pipes would make a noise and then everything would clam down.

Initially I would turn the hot water off and go for a bath, but noticed that there would not be enough hot water. Next time I would continue to keep the water on while the pipes bang and water in the tank boils.

For the past few months when running the hot water the tap would start to dribble and stop. It would also be the same round other hot water taps. During this time I can hear the tank in the loft filling up and on some occasions the tank (cylinder) bubbling.

I believe there seems to be some sort of trapped air in the system. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a thermostat on your cylinder? Also do you have any valves next to your cylinder?

Do you have a thermostat on your cylinder? Also do you have any valves next to your cylinder?

Hi, no thermostat on the cylinder only two near the boiler one which controls the boiler and the other for central heating which is normally at 22.

The only think I have next to the boiler is the electric switch which allows the water to be heated via elerticicty instead of gas from the boiler.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back