Tap escutcheon?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, our taps came with plastic escutcheons (if that's what they're called?) and one has broken.

Are these available without buying a tap?, ideally I'd like metal ones.

Is escutcheon the right name or are they called something else?.

Cheers all.

20210301_080653.jpg
20210301_080657.jpg

Sponsored Links
They're only 2 years old, £50 B&Q.

I'm sure the old ones had metal bases, should have kept the bottoms!.

Did the bath taps at same time (wife likes matching taps..)

Tap's been overtightened onto the basin/bath.

I just know them as Tap Base Rings/plinth. If you do a search you'll find loads.

Sponsored Links
I managed to get a pair of brass base rings and fitted them tonight after work so we have a hot tap again at least (£7 per ring).

I remember fitting plastic nuts as the brass ones were a nightmare to get off the last set, but the plastic nuts are sh1t; that's why they were overtightened.

So next job is to buy some proper nuts!. Job for weekend.

20210303_181142.jpg
20210303_184956.jpg

Cheers, every day is a learning day as they say. The taps themselves look decent quality, the fitting kit was ****e!.

I'm to quick sometimes to replace. Because I do it for a business I just don't need the hassle. At home I'm changing and repairing things more and more

I'm to quick sometimes to replace. Because I do it for a business I just don't need the hassle. At home I'm changing and repairing things more and more

I'm a Yorkshire man so a bit thrifty!. We normally get 6ish years out of a set of taps before the hard water does it's thing.

I think it was £90 or £100 for the sink and bath so they weren't cheap.

As you say, if it was a job then too much hassle, not worth the labour. Same with me, sometimes cheaper to replace a part than spend an hour fixing it.

I'm a Yorkshire man so a bit thrifty!. We normally get 6ish years out of a set of taps before the hard water does it's thing.

I think it was £90 or £100 for the sink and bath so they weren't cheap.

As you say, if it was a job then too much hassle, not worth the labour. Same with me, sometimes cheaper to replace a part than spend an hour fixing it.

Like the Australians they have it but inyo them. All them years back they had to make do as the plumbers merchant was a 2 days ride away. :ROFLMAO:

On a plus point, it was the 3rd outing for my Armeg Jaw Droppers.

Money well spent?, I'm a bit of a tool nerd..

20210303_204044.jpg

They are good, if you use them enough to justify the cost. I use a par of adjustables for the connection and a box spanner for the back nut

Plastic back nuts are crap but a trick with the brass back nuts, wire brush the taps threads and add a little silicone grease, will stop the threads mashing together, if you overtighten the brass to brass they will be a nightmare to get off. Also makes sure the surfaces of the basin are spotless and dry, will allow the rubber seals to grip properly without having to overtighten.

Cheers, I bought the Jaw Droppers for our bath (originally fitted taps before it went in), genuinely don't think I'd of managed without them so money well spent.

Will grease the threads, good tip thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back