Tap headgear grub screw - snapped allen key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I tried to remove a bath lever tap, but the allen key snapped in the grub screw. The tap is a Sottini lever type. No real access to it. Apart from taking the tap off and chucking it away, any advice as to where to go now?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. If the Allen key suddenly snapped, its probably hardened steel and will be next to impossible to remove.
2. If the key bent and then broke it may well be soft steel, in which case it might be possible to drill it out (subject to access) and use an "easy out" or file tang to undo the screw.
3. You will probably have to remove the tap from the bath to work on it, in which case it might be just as easy to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Don’t buy Allen keys from the market stall tool jumble.

No, never would. Even quality tools can break. They were ball ended, so there's the weak point. The short length after the angle wasn't long enough to fit in.

1. If the Allen key suddenly snapped, its probably hardened steel and will be next to impossible to remove.
2. If the key bent and then broke it may well be soft steel, in which case it might be possible to drill it out (subject to access) and use an "easy out" or file tang to undo the screw.
3. You will probably have to remove the tap from the bath to work on it, in which case it might be just as easy to replace it.

I'm going to try and drill it out. Replacement is the last I want to do as it's one of those taps on the side of the bath against the wall......even if I have to run a new thread tap in the new hole and use a larger grub screw after.

There's no access for anything other than a drill, so it's either that or cutting the lever off and replacing the lever. A lot of remedial work will be needed to get the bath out to change that bloody tap!

Ok, so yesterday managed to drill out the lever without damage to the actual tap. Not sure at this point if I need a new lever or not. It's a Sottini tap, I believe the range is Tesino.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back