tap-off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing a new shower cubicle where I have ripped out a poorly fitted mouldy effort, thing is the electric shower is reasonably good and I am going to re-use it, but it had an isloating valve fitted to the water inlet pipe(which can be turned by hand). I have never seen this before and wondered if it might be necessary on this particular model, or whether it is just a 'nicety' a plumber fitted at the time? I want rid of it as it looks bloody awful, oh and the fact the only reason I even bother to turn it off after showering is because it (just the valve) drips like mad when left open! :rolleyes:

BTW It's a 'Heatrae Sadia Plus'

cheers! :D :D

Sponsored Links
Its good practice to fit isolators for showers taps etc, because they do need to be replaced at times and it makes life that much easier. What sort of isolator do you have? If your replacing the shower and the cold water is straight from the mains, you will need to fit a double check valve.

Yes, I can see the benefit of having it in respect of changing the unit, it's just that I'd rather have no pipe visible in the shower (have pipe going straight into back off electric shower). The isolater is in the form of a 15mm fitting with a big white knob on it which takes a couple of turns either way for on/off, says something like 'always turn on fully' on it - very ugly!
Hmmm, there doesn't appear to be a double check valve fitted, is that a fairly recent addition for a shower? (say in the last 10 years?) Where does this need to be fitted? The pipework is exposed at the moment as I have had to rip out the old plasterboard, so could put one in line there if that's the right place?

cheers for the speedy response! :D

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure it is off the mains so I will fit the double-check valve (this stops water flowing back into the system right?), imagine the valve you have linked to but with a big white knob on it instead of the slot for a screwdriver, allowing you to operate it by hand, except it doesn't just require a 1/4 turn but two or three turns either way - this is plonked on the exposed pipework below the shower generally looking pap, I will fit an isolator again, but one which can be accessed by removing the panel from the front of the shower tray - hope this makes sense! :)

cheers - ad :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back