Compression Fittings - Closing In

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent the day taking apart the ensuite in preparation of fitting a new one.

There are no isloation valves on the pipes feeding the shower. I am going to turn the water off and fit some whilst I am there as well as some flexible connectors to connect the shower up with. Am I ok using compression fittings if they are going to be closed in and tiled over? Or does it have to be soldered joints?

Sponsored Links
compression are fine, For the belt and braces approach put some thread seal on them like Plumba or LSX, can you not put them somewhere were you can get to them in future like under bath in loft etc

compression are fine, For the belt and braces approach put some thread seal on them like Plumba or LSX, can you not put them somewhere were you can get to them in future like under bath in loft etc

Thanks. It is an ensuite shower cubicle. The pipes come up through the floor. I am fitting a raised shower tray so I might be able to leave an access point under the tray and put the vavles there.

Thanls again.

yes you should be able to do that, also depends whats underneath but i have put discreet inspection hatches in ceilings under such installs, done well it can look good, good luck with your install

Sponsored Links
Check the bore on those flexible connectors as there is a chance they could reduce the flow rate of the shower...Advisable to hard plumb all the way to the shower valve.

Also worth ensuring your isolation valves are full bore.

Am I ok using compression fittings if they are going to be closed in and tiled over?
Accident waiting to happen. If you're not confident with a torch, use good brand pushit e.g. Polyplumb.

Worried someone would say this.

I have a MAPP torch but I have never soldered a joint before. Is it very hard? I might get a bit of pipe and some joints and have a practice for a few days.

Unless the isolating valves are accessible then I see little point in having them!

Even just a screwdriver size hole with a little plastic plug.

Tony

Polyplumb pushfit would be a safer choice. Nothing wrong with these if you follow the instructions to the letter, and make sure they go in as far as they should.

I got some gate valves as they are full bore in side.

I have enough room under the shower tray to leave an access panel in the wall to get to the valves. I have a raised tray with a clip on plinth cover so it will be really easy to get to the valves and they wont be seen with the panel in place.

Begasman - the mains water pressure is quite tasty and we have a unvented hot water system so the pressure is high. Is the Polyplumb push fit ok for higher pressures?

...the mains water pressure is quite tasty and we have a unvented hot water system so the pressure is high. Is the Polyplumb push fit ok for higher pressures?
I've used it for years on central heating up to about 80C, and tested at 10 bar. It is quite rare to get water mains above 6 bar, but if in doubt: email water company. ( do NOT call about these things as you are likely to be fobbed off by spotty teenager on phone )

Looking at it again, the pipes are 110cm apart and it seems most of the Mira showers we have been looking at have them same requirements so it looks like I can use the same pipes that are already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back