Compression fitting leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Can someone run through the procedure for fitting a compression joint.

I am fitting some new taps. For the basin I have cut the pipes and bought 2 flexible tap connectors. 1 is ok and the other has a slight leak.

On the bath I have just connected back on the existing 15mm pipe and they both have a slight leak. Not sure whether to cut the pipes and replace with the flexible tap connectors. But as previously mentioned will probably end up with leaks.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong when I put the olive on. I am using PTFE tape as well.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am using PTFE tape as well.
Where are you putting the PTFE tape? It's not really necessary.

If you do feel the need to use some, it should go only on the thread and nowhere near the olive.

No, I do not put it near the olive, only on the thread.

Just bought 2 flexible tap connectors so I will have a go with those.

If you do feel the need to use some, it should go only on the thread and nowhere near the olive.

That's been discussed here before, and at considerable length.
The threads play no part in sealing the fitting. they just provide the squeeze to seat the olive. It's the seating of the olive in the fitting that provides the seal, and as the end of the fitting is tapered, also seats the olive onto the pipe.

OP - a sound olive in a clean fitting should seal well when assembled dry. When re-using an olive that has already been compressed in a different fitting, some use a turn of PTFE round the olive. and some recommend a smear of jointing compound. That should take up the minor differences in shape of the old and new fitting.

If the joint has been overtightened, you a probably on a loser unless you can replace the olive

Sponsored Links
I am using PTFE tape as well.
Where are you putting the PTFE tape? It's not really necessary.

? What is the point of teflon tape on the thread, other than displaying ignorance? Only bsp seals on the thread, compression only seals on the olive.

Which is why I wrote 'if you feel the need'...

I have never used PTFE tape on any compression joints but I know a full time highly experienced plumber who does. I realise this subject has been done to death on these forums before, and fully understand that the olive alone is responsible for making the joint sound.

I really don't know why people put it on the threads but the fact is that some people do. Perhaps it makes the joint easier to tighten / loosen - but it sure as hell doesn't make it more watertight.

It wasn't ignorance, rather a poorly worded reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back