Tap on downstairs - no water upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a problem where when the taps are switched on downstairs, no water (or very little) comes out of the taps upstairs.
For example, if I am taking a shower upstairs and someone turns on the hot tap downstairs, the shower will suddenly go cold and there is no hot water again until the tap downstairs is switched off.

How do I go about correcting this? Im guessing it is soemthing to do with water pressure. It is a council house so not sure whether I will be allowed to make any changes myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Has this always been a problem, sounds like the flow rate needs increasing.
Do you know what sort of system you have and the size/diameter of the pipe work? It may need increasing, this will then increase your flow rate.

Thanks for your reply. It has always been a problem. It is the same if someone flushes the upstairs toilet - the water in the shower will go cold or completely off until the toilet stops flushing.

I did some research and thought maybe I need a thermostatic shower valve to control the temperature? Do you know if it would be difficult to install? Sorry I dont know the first thing about plumbing.

Even if you installed a thermostatic shower you will still encounter flow rate problems.
Is the cold water fed direct from the main supply or do you have a storage cistern in the loft or is it a combi boiler?
Flow rate can be increased by upgrading the pipe work size, not a difficult job if one knows what one is doing, but will cause a little disruption, might be worth talking to your local council.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back