Tape to prevent leak at metal joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me the name of the 'material' that you get on a tape type roll that is soft and pliable and you would use it to wrap round the thread of an old metal joint before screwing the nut back in place to give a good water tight fit ????
Also could you advise me where I can get any from (do B&Q etc stock it ???).

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jon, that's the kiddy !!
I heard it referred to as PTFE (before I forgot the name) but didn't know that it stood for that (makes sense really !!!)

Thanks !

Andy.

Sponsored Links
If you're screwing a nut onto a thread I don't think PTFE is going to do the job. What are you trying to make water tight?

You can't trust anyone in the Plumbing forum.

Least of all me.

solo said:
If you're screwing a nut onto a thread I don't think PTFE is going to do the job. What are you trying to make water tight?

My bath waste pipe meets my bathroom sink wastepipe and then in turn are fed in to my soil pipe (all on the outside of the house). The bath waste and sink waste pipes are old (probably original house pipes - 1965) and are as such metal pipes.
Recently had to call in a plumber as my bath and sink were backing up and would take hours to drain away.
He looked at the outside pipe (just after where the bath and sink pipes met). Whilst we managed to unscrew the thread/nut we could not pull the pipes apart and as such he basically banged the pipes along the length whilst I ran the bath to put to water pressure on the pipes.
After some time it seemed to mainly clear the blockage. (He did say that he thought it would come back). When he resealed/rescrewed the thread/nut he found a slight drip and as such he unscrewed again and applied PTFE to the thread and then rescrewed.

The blockage has reoccurred and rather than calling out the plumber to bang the pipe I did the same myself with a rubber hammer and seem to have cleared it, however there is quite a bad leak from one of the joints (I haven't split it, but it is a joint that he did not apply PTFE to).

My intention now is to buy some tape, unscrew and apply the tape and rescrew - hopefully that should do it !

Cheers,

Andy.

Perhaps another option would be plumbers mate, its a not setting compound, water resistant so could also do the job for you.

young people today don't appreciate sticky jointing compound. Hardly any of them even carry a hank of hemp.

Andy_P said:
Thanks Jon, that's the kiddy !!
I heard it referred to as PTFE (before I forgot the name) but didn't know that it stood for that (makes sense really !!!)

Thanks !

Andy.

i woul dhave thought it stood for plumbing talkin forum ejits or plumber are tight fisted ******* ejits or another alternative would be priced @ top for everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back