Is this B&Q how to video wrong? PTFE tape on rad thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking to see if I needed to put PTFE tape where the olive for the part that goes into the rad meets with the trv.

B&Q how to video shows the PTFE tape on the thread of the trv rather than inside (behind the nut).

Is what is show correct? Feels to me like there could still be a leak from the olive doing it this way, or does the olive not need PTFE on this joint?

thanks
Andy

screenshot

4425D0C7-C26F-4806-9F83-A5F4BB266F6B.png

video

Sponsored Links
The olive makes the seal when it is compressed against the fitting and the pipe. DIY'ers commonly overtighten the nut ,and deform the olive ,or pipe ,and it leaks.

Sponsored Links
If breaking and re-making a compression joint, no harm in using a few wraps of PTFE on the olive, absolutely no point whatsoever putting PTFE on the thread

Wrong to use tape on those threads, the seal is not made there, it is made at the olive. I might wrap a bit of tape around the olive, or perhaps some Plumbers Mait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back