Taping new board to existing artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently renovating the bathroom.

It was completely tiled and the tiles weren't coming off so I took all the plasterboard off and put new stuff up. The problem I have is taping the top edge of the board into the ceiling as it is artexed.

Some of the old tape came off so I have dug it all out. What is the best method/technique for a good finish?

Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Are you tiling up to the ceiling or will there be a gap.
I presume the wall boards slipped in to channel left by previous boards at the ceiling/artex.
You will have a problem taping unless you are going to hack off some of the artex around the perimeter of the ceiling to allow you to to this.
Then tidy it up.
The only other solution would be to apply tapes flat to wall but up in to joint at ceiling, decorator caulk to seal and fill out or plaster.

2 walls tiled to ceiling level. One not tiled at all and one only tiled 2 thirds of the way up.

The new boards are fitted exactly in the same place as the old ones.

Some of the old tape has peeled off when removing the old boards. I should have cut right in to the corner with a Stanley knife. I started that too late! I got carried away with demolition!

I think I'll try taping up to the top supported by plaster then I'll be cutting out all of the old tape.

Then I get stuck! Is cutting out the old tape the best thing to do since I have ripped chunks of it off anyway? I could take some photos if it helps explain what I mean?

Photos are always nice, nothing saucy just yet though ;)
I would always cut old tape/scrim off.
How big is the bathroom and how attached to the artex ceiling are you?
Could you/would you consider removing or overboarding or plastering it?

Sponsored Links
I'll save the saucy ones for another time then haha. Bathroom is really small(which is frustrating as house is a good size!!!) but it's only 2.5x2.

We aren't attached to it at all! The only problem is cost, I'm prepared to try and skim 1 and a half walls. I'm not sure how I'd cope with the ceiling! We haven't long moved into the house and have decorated everything and although we will make the bathroom look good there is a limited budget left!

I'll save the saucy ones for another time then haha. Bathroom is really small(which is frustrating as house is a good size!!!) but it's only 2.5x2.

We aren't attached to it at all! The only problem is cost, I'm prepared to try and skim 1 and a half walls. I'm not sure how I'd cope with the ceiling! We haven't long moved into the house and have decorated everything and although we will make the bathroom look good there is a limited budget left!

shouldnt be too expensive to get it skimmed if its just a small room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back