Taps - spline tooth count and diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a couple of ceramic tap cartridges for my basin taps - went for type "CC2".

Although I was careful to get most measurements correct, I didn't notice that the spline section is a larger diameter than before - gone from a 20-spline 7.6mm to 20-spline 8.8mm, so of course my lever tops no longer fit.

No probs, I thought, I'll just get some new lever tops, should be easy, what I had already were just bog standard easy-to-turn 'levers' probably bought for the house's previous OAP occupant - but, looking on eBay, and various plumbing sites, the sizes of what you're buying are almost never specified - they might, sometimes, grudgingly mention the number of teeth, but never the diameter.

I suppose I should give up and just get some new cartridges with the smaller spline section, but being a bit bloody-minded I really want to keep the cartridges I've bought, and get some new tops.

How would I go about this? Is there no on-line solution, is the only way to go to B&Q or a plumbers' merchant and actually try my cartridges in whatever's available? Or does anyone know particular tap-top manufacturers that use the 20/8.8mm spline as standard?

Sponsored Links
Best advice is to take old cartridge and handle to a decent plumbers merchant.

B&Q and the like will have sealed packs and staff who know less than you.

Alternatively, try tapmagician.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back