Teachers cleaning classrooms, buying text books, washing clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-with-nothing-and-the-nothing-is-getting-less

Michael Ferry is the headteacher of St Wilfrid’s Catholic School in Crawley, West Sussex. The school has 943 pupils and is rated as good by Ofsted. In 2017-18 it received income worth £5,157 per pupil, nearly £700 below the national average.

We have had to save in the region of half a million pounds by not replacing staff who have left. That’s £500,000 saved, and we still need to find more. I can’t rule out having to make similar savings in the future.

I think this is great, cuts to education because who needs an education?

Sponsored Links
Almost £5,000,000.

Is that for staff wages, upkeep of the building, learning aids/equipment?

All of the above Ian. Additionally the school picks up the on-costs, so add 23 ish% on top of staff salaries. It will include paying suppy teachers to cover sickness; or to pay for the insurance policy to do the same. Utilities too. Not sure about academies- them is strange beasts, outside a Welshie's experience.

On staff, bear in mind that (if like Wales) the school is required by law to offer 30 choices at level2- GCSE/BTec. That's incredibly hard to staff, and so expensive.

Sponsored Links
About 10years ago during the summer hols I was installing some cat5 in a junior school and the Head was there to let me in she then got her overalls on and carried on painting the hall, dedication for ya

Back