Teeing into pipework best practise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit tees into hot and cold water pipes to make provision for the supply to our new kitchen.

At the moment, the pipework runs horizontally into the room I'm working in and then two elbows send the pipework up to the 1st floor.

Is it better to cut the pipework after the elbows and insert the tees or to desolder the elbows and put the tees in their place?

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't get hung up about either method. Do whatever seems easiest but be sure there is enough movement/ length of pipe remaining to make the connection if you decide to cut them off.

I wouldn't recommend desoldering, you need to get the work spotlessly clean for the solder to take, and in my experience its not always very easy. Secondly, if there's any trace of water in the pipe, it will not solder, regardless of how much heat you put on it. I'd be looking to cut in the tees into a straight section of pipe, with a couple of compression fittings on standby in case soldering isn't viable.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend desoldering, you need to get the work spotlessly clean for the solder to take, and in my experience its not always very easy. Secondly, if there's any trace of water in the pipe, it will not solder, regardless of how much heat you put on it. I'd be looking to cut in the tees into a straight section of pipe, with a couple of compression fittings on standby in case soldering isn't viable.
Exactly what I done in the end.

All went fine until I undone the stopcock and seen a drip, even though water was still off at the meter.

Turns out I completely missed a joint whilst doing an elbow and tee at the same time. Hopefully the repair has taken, we'll find out in a minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back