Telephone and internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
i have move into a 2 bed house that had a telephone socket in the following rooms
(downstairs) lounge/ dinner 2, kitchen1, hall way1, utility1, entrance1
(upstairs) landing1 , bed1, bed1, cloakroom1,
loft 1

the first is the loft and then goes other places from there

the phone in the past stoped working and i phoned bt they said they are wired wrong and they are all master sockets
i changed the wires in all outlets and they are fine

i have had the internet with sky for a year but the problems i have had is unreal

i was looking for a bit of guidance on how to wire them and where to put the slave sockets as i mentioned they are all masters (i think bt put them in as they are all badged as bt)
i am also aware it is not best practice for the main income to be in the loft but would like to use the existing cables as the house is decorated and don't want cables on the outside

Sponsored Links
As you note, all your sockets are masters, change them to slave units with the exception of the first "incoming" box and you can keep your wiring as it is. Check the "sticky" for details of the connections.

so you only have the 1 master and the rest should be slave
Yes, the first is the MASTER, the rest should be SLAVES

See the very first "Click image to enlarge" in the Sticky at the top of this page, shows how to wire them together.

Sponsored Links
Not 'slaves', SECONDARIES.
If you're trying to be cleaver, its not worked, to be correct they are, 1st Secondary Socket, 2nd Secondary Socket etc, no such word as SECONDARIES.

The convention is to call the sockets after the Master, Slaves.

If you prefer it that way, fine.

I have always known them as secondaries, as do suppliers.

Would you ask for a dozen secondaries, or a dozen slaves?

Gasman, a slave/secondary line jack unit, is only a Primary, with the components missing , ie. capacitor,resistors, cut them out and they become secondaries/slaves
your ist lju should be a nte5, which has the bell circuit capacitor and lightening protector in.you ony need one capacitor in the circuit.
pp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back