Telephone extensions wiring (diagram)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are altering our phone extensions as part of a house renovation and I have 2 questions:

1. Our main phone line is wired by the 'star' method (due to there once being an old exchange type box there). I changed this for a junction box when we moved in so that the phones worked. We now need to add a couple of extra points on this line. Can we add extra phone points on one of the legs (therefore mixing wiring methods)? See diagram.

View media item 15713

2. We are hoping to get BT to upgrade our second phone/ADSL line to an NTE5 box. I'd then like a filtered plate on the front to attach wiring for our extensions to use phone and ASDL (like this).
View media item 15712Question is, do I need to run 1 or 2 cables into the wall to an NTE5 box. Or is it possible to split both phone and broadband down separate pairs of a 3 pair cable? (I need to do this in advance as plasterer coming)

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
No1 - fine.

No2 -

You want to be able to connect the broadband to more than one point? Are you aware you will only be able to use one of them? If you want to use more than one machine at a time, you need to use a router and cat5 wiring.

If you do want to distribute the ADSL and the phone, use some 3 pair CW1308 cable from the NTE5a with the filter plate, and then use one pair for the ADSL and the other two pairs for the phone. Use some euromodule plates with an RJ11 and a BT style phone socket on them at the other points. You should not use multiple face plate filters like the one you show.

You can get faceplate filters designed for use after the NTE, these have a filter in them and then the RJ11 and the BT style plug. If you want to use these, you connect the line to the AB on the NTE filter.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

Thanks, Lectrician.

Yes, my wife wants to be able to connect her (one) laptop at a couple of points in the house (so one at a time), along with 2 business phones.

So I can just run a single length of the 3 pair wire that you mentioned from the new NTE5 master box to some extension points (in series, rather than star wiring on this line) and use the faceplate filters that you linked to. And the filtering will be at each extension, rather than the master box? Have I got that right?

Thanks.

If you use a adsl faceplate the adsl signal will stop at the master socket and you will have to plug your router/hub into the master socket,you can the run the extensions as per your diagram but there will be no adsl signal at them.Why not go wireless ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

BT want £200 just to put the NTE boxes in, so I might have a re-think.

If you use a adsl faceplate the adsl signal will stop at the master socket and you will have to plug your router/hub into the master socket,you can the run the extensions as per your diagram but there will be no adsl signal at them.Why not go wireless ?

Not if you use one like this :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate6way.html

If you want to be able to plug an ADSL device into any socket then the extensions would need to be these type of sockets :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketmasterADSLfilteredwithRJ11.html

No1 - fine.

You can get faceplate filters designed for use after the NTE, these have a filter in them and then the RJ11 and the BT style plug. If you want to use these, you connect the line to the AB on the NTE filter.
The line stays connected to the REAR of the NTE5, any wiring that goes to the rear of the faceplate is for extension wiring.

YES, but the type 2 faceplate filter has filtered AND unfiltered terminals.

There is an AB and 2345. I am not talking about the AB on the actual NTE rear end.

I think Lectrician is right - you dont want to have to carry the adsl modem to each room in order to use the internet. The best solution for you is to keep the broadband on the main incoming line (you run the risk of it becoming difficult to identify problems later if you have so many faceplates and filters in the house) and go wireless from that point or use the electrical circuit in the house to provide a network connection back to the router. You can get these off ebay or elsewhere -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Network-Ether...aultDomain_3?hash=item3a536c9d6e#ht_483wt_902

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back