telephone jack difficulties?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the wall there is a telephone jack ( i assume it's BT ) in two parts. The first part with the shutter. 1. the shutter wont open. 2. there are no wires connected.
The second part of the accessory, "behind" the first part, has a single telephone cable with 6no wires. 4no wires -brown, green grey and orange - are free, 2no are connected to terminals.
What so to speak, is the state of this jack? Can it somehow be connected and made live? Is it a case for a BT engineer? Or what?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it is NTE5 with the removeable plate and the back plate. the cable that comes into the box has two wires: Blue to term A and Orange to B on the back plate. The other two wires Green and Brown are free. The removeable plate has nothing connected to it. Sorry about the dud info. but bit of a domestic going on.

it is NTE5 with the removeable plate and the back plate. the cable that comes into the box has two wires: Blue to term A and Orange to B on the back plate. The other two wires Green and Brown are free. The removeable plate has nothing connected to it. Sorry about the dud info. but bit of a domestic going on.

This will be your master socket, then. The test socket (behind the faceplate) should work fine, assuming your line is connected.

I've just plugged a phone into the test socket and attempted to dial the BT test number. Nothing. Mind you it could be the phone. What do you think?

I've just plugged a phone into the test socket and attempted to dial the BT test number. Nothing. Mind you it could be the phone. What do you think?

As it's a master socket and apparently correctly wired (and you shouldn't play with it), I'd call BT out. If it's a fault with their wiring, it will be a free call (assuming you have service with them).

If this isn't your master socket, but an NTE installed as an extension, then there's faulty extension wiring somewhere along the line.

Edit: Mind you, I'd try a known good phone (ask a neighbour if you can borrow one?) before calling BT out or it could be an expensive call for nothing.

Thanks. One more thing is the matter of the shutter not opening on the front plate. Is it dud or is there a way to release it?

Thanks. One more thing is the matter of the shutter not opening on the front plate. Is it dud or is there a way to release it?

It could be fixable. The plate is easily enough disassembled, there should be four clips on the reverse side. Simply pop the two plastic parts apart at those clips with a small screwdriver.

No luck. Do you mean the four rivet like plastic heads at roughly the four corners of the reverse side, or am i supposed to pry off the socket behind the shutter? As a matter of interest, when i attempted to remove the socket it released the shutter but when its back in position the shutter is fast.

Those are simply for centering it. There should be four plastic clips, just next to those posts. You need to pry between the two plastic parts at those points and pop the back off. Then pull the PCB away and you'll see the shutter. I'm guessing the spring is out of position or the case is warped.

Thank you again for your patience. But it's not having it ,i've stretched the two plastic back and front to breaking point but it wont snap open.

Thank you again for your patience. But it's not having it ,i've stretched the two plastic back and front to breaking point but it wont snap open.

Again, can I see a picture? It may be different in construction to mine.

I dont have a camera. Perhaps it is a bit different. i believe that the phone jacks installed in these flats were among the early types. what i'll do now is take it to maplin's and see what they say. can't afford BT. thanks for your help, i'll let you know what happens next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back