Telephone lines tc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me set the scene.

In my cupboard is the one and only telephone socket. My house has just been rewired and I now have cat6 cables going from this same cupboard to each room. One of the cat6 cable will be used for tv. One is a spare. The third though I want to use for phone and my broadband.

So, what I need is some kind of matrix or switch/adaptor so it plugs into my phone socket, and then splits it say 4 times and then has 4 output sockets to allow a standard cat6 cable to be used as the carrier, and then an adaptor at the other end to plug in my phone as normal.

What is this thing called and where do I get one.

For tv it's easy, I plug in my input, so sky,then the matrix splits it and sends it down the cat cable and has a convertor back to HDMI. I want this, but for phone. I don't mind of it's only one line, so all phones ring when someone calls, or something fancier so I can call different rooms in the house and press 9 if I want to dial out, like a hotel I guess.

Sponsored Links
It's called a PABX ....if you are using standard phones you need one with analog extensions an old panasonic 206 would do the job with a master phone for programming. Take a look on ebay

This page sells all the bits you need, assuming your data wiring is presented to a patch panel:

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTtoRJ45kitRJ45V4S.html

Identical products are available from lots of other suppliers.

The bit problem with what you are doing in the way you're doing it is that your ADSL signal is going to be carried on all the extension wiring. It's usually better to filter and have the router at the master socket, and carry filtered phone line and ethernet to rooms where required.

This may be worsened by the fact that the twisted pair phone wire may be split across different pairs on the Cat6 cable.

I would go for a NEC XN120 or BT Versatility. Pana206 is so aged now. No caller Id for a start!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the help so far. I will have a gander and ponder it over.

Wouldn't it be better as OwainDIYer comments, modem and router under stairs and then distribute Ethernet connectivity over the cat6 to each room.

Consider local VoIP telephony in each room or a master with cordless handsets...

Edit: Or use the spare for telephony and do what you want with a pabx but keep it separate to the distributed internet connectivity over Ethernet.

Edit2: let me rephrase the "wouldn't it be better" question to it will be better for internet sync and stability if the modem is sited close as practicable to the line entry point in the cupboard.

Wouldn't it be better as OwainDIYer comments, modem and router under stairs and then distribute Ethernet connectivity over the cat6 to each room.

Consider local VoIP telephony in each room or a master with cordless handsets...

Edit: Or use the spare for telephony and do what you want with a pabx but keep it separate to the distributed internet connectivity over Ethernet.

Edit2: let me rephrase the "wouldn't it be better" question to it will be better for internet sync and stability if the modem is sited close as practicable to the line entry point in the cupboard.

Yes, for me keeping it simple is what I need.

So now under my stairs I have 4 cat6 cables going to 4 separate rooms. I also have a phone socket. All I want is to split this phone socket 4 ways and plug in my 4 cat6 cables and then in each room, a convertor to convert the cat6 cable into a socket for a normal phone.

Internet wil be sent down another cable so forget about that for now. So I need a thing to plug into my phone socket on the wall, with 4 Ethernet sockets for my cat6 and another socket to plug in my modem for broadband which I will then pump around the house by other means etc.

I am trying to find this on the page as linked to above.

I think you may be confusing different signal types / technology types with the generic cat6 cabling which may support the different formats but one at any one time over the one cable.

To me, keeping it simple would be putting in a modem / 4 port router at the master socket in the cupboard. Then using the ports on the router to distribute IP to one or more rooms and thus being the central platform for home communication requirements.

Your last comment makes it sound like your priority is actually distributing traditional PSTN telephony over the 4 cables as extensions. Forget about adaptors required for a minute, they can be referenced, is that what your priority on this whole network is?

To my mind, an easier telephone solution would be to patch the telephone to one room only and use a base station with multiple wireless telephone handsets. Use VoIP compatible handsets if multiple simultaneous lines required. Or even easier put the base station in the cupboard if the signal is not attenuated too much..

This would leave all the cat6 cables running to the 4 rooms for IP which is normally the priority on modern networked homes?

Thanks for your post.

Yes, my priority is to have a phone system. Internet I can take care of by other means. So I want to use the 4 cat6 cable as a traditional phone line.

Ok. That's clear answer then.

Just for the record, I don't fully get it, especially when a wireless telephone base station with say VoIP has so many advantages and flexibility, multiple lines support, no extra rental etc etc. not to mention freeing all your cat6 wiring for ip..

Back to your questions then.

OwainDIYer original vendor link has kits which provide one way of doing it. There are other ways of implementing.

Anyway, one way:

http://www.bttorj45.com/BTtoRJ45kitRJ45V4S.html#

A four way spitter output with bt to rj45 fly leads.. Rj45 to bt for far end where you plug your phone in.

Suitability depends a bit on your terminations of cat6 at each end and I don't think you've mentioned that. Rj45 plugs or wall socket or patch panel etc...

That kit really assumes you have rj45 female sockets terminated at both ends.

Edit: best used with a filtered master face plate to ensure filters not required at all phone points. And modem best placed at location of faceplate as mentioned before.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/3306-adsl-nation-xte-2005/

Edit2: identify what master socket you have first to ensure compatability with a filtered faceplate.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back