BT phone line extension from master socket

9 Sep 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of laying CAT6 network cable and installing RJ45 sockets, and while I have the floorboards up I thought it would make sense to replace the crummy "plug 'n' play" type BT phone extension with a proper extension socket installed flush with the wall.

What's the best type of cable to use, and what's it called? Or should I just use the cable from the extension kit?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link.

I'm sure that if I had called them 8P8C plugs/sockets then a lot of people wouldn't know what I was talking about :)
Sponsored Links
cat5/5e/6 is used for phones in offices all the time, nothing wrong with it.
cat5/5e/6 is used for phones in offices all the time, nothing wrong with it.

I stand corrected, but I've ordered 10m of CW1308 so I may as well use that now. If anything it might save the next owner some confusion.
You should have just flood wired the building & got the NTE5 master socket next to your patch panel, that way you could have used BT to RJ45 patch kits to patch the telephone line to any network socket you wished. That is the whole point of a structured cabling system(CAT5e/CAT6).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links