Fibre optic master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has had BT fibre-optic installed, hence new master socket.

Can you run an extension phone cable from these types of master socket?

Sponsored Links
When you say "fiber optic" do you mean fiber to the cabinet or fiber to the premisis?

For fiber to the cabinet (by far the more common system) you should find the master socket has three parts. The front part is a normal NTE5 front and has a phone socket on the front and punchdown connections for extension phone wiring on the back. The middle part is the filter and has a socket for the VDSL modem on the front and some versions also have a pair of punchdown connections to allow an extension of the VDSL service. The back part is a standard NTE5 back and has the connections for the incoming BT wiring.

For fiber to the premisis voice may be delivered either over the existing analog line (having nothing to do with the fiber service and using the existing NTE5 unmodified) or be delivered over fiber in which case the phones have to be connected to the ONT. There is a special plate openreach can use to divert extesion wiring to the fiber voice service but I don't know if they always fit it and I've never seen it for sale seperately.

I assume fiber to the cabinet which is just the other side of the road from the house.

They are the first to be connected to this newly installed FibreOptic cabinet and they are delighted to have FibreOptic since they in a rural area and the ADSL was very poor at best.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you can, when you take the front off, there's terminals for broadband extensions (unfiltered) and telephone extensions (filtered).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back