Fibre Broadband Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

Not sure if this is the correct section but since telephones are part of the deal, ......!

I live in a private road and currently the phone lines run in an underground conduit, popping above ground to the individual houses via a telephone pole and overhead cable, with the actual cable going to somewhere in the loft.

When my house was built, the master socket was originally in the loft, but due to internet speed issue, OpenReach re-configured the socket and fitted the master in the office so the computers can receive a clean signal.

There is now a movement to take advantage of the Government gigabit funding for presumably a fibre optical cable to be installed in the existing conduit for no charge. That sounds good!

But no-one can answer my questions so I am hoping those on this forum will know more.

From the underground conduit, do Openreach connect each house overhead via the existing telephone poles?

Does a optical fibre cable include landline, or does the existing copper line remain in place for telephone use?

Presumably there is a fibre optical 'master socket' installed at the point of entry to the house (loft)? Does the house existing cable just plug in to this 'master socket' and we are good to go?

Does my existing router just work the same way when it is plugged into the optical socket?

In my case, the current 'master socket' is in the office and not near the point of entry. If the point of entry is the loft, how does OpenReach get the optical master socket to the office when the current wiring is copper?

I know some cable is brought into the house by drilling through the wall and the master socket is in the front room. Is that how it is likely to be done? If so, is there another way, as I have a timber frame house and know that drilling through the paper membrane only rips it to shreds rather than cuts a hole.

Really grateful for any info as it is impossible to actually talk with OpenReach.

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

Sponsored Links
What will probably happen is a FTTC install. Fibre To The Cabinet

An FTTC install is when the fibre is run to a new street cabinet close to the distribution pole. Inside the cabinet there will interface modules to transfer data between the fibre and the various existing copper pair cables running from the pole to the various houses.

FTTC means the distance ADSL data is carried on a copper pair is much shorter than it does when the interface modules are at the telephone exchange. Shorter distance on copper means faster speed.

Sorry, should have provided full details. The gigbit voucher scheme will fund Openreach install FTTH for those that sign up, assuming sufficient do sign up to cover the fibre installation cost, which has been quoted as around £23k

Sponsored Links
It comes into a white box about A4 size that is plugged in! from this the phone And other services run from , seen a few in new builds with fibre to the house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back