Going fibre broadband & moving master socket.

Looks like I was out of date, it seems they introduced FTTC self install as a "full commercial option" a few months ago.

Sponsored Links
that's why you were told to take the socket off, so their line test fails and they do need to send someone. we're not just all rolly eyes and tutting after all lol
just to clarify - the socket HAS been removed. I can provide updated photos if required? So don't exhaust the rolley eyes just yet :)

Side note- on the application form I said I wasn't living at the address. They're sending out the hub in a couple week but it seems like it'll be going to the house. Not good since I told them I'm not living there.

I hope it isn't needed for the engineers visit. Will call BT to see if they'll drop it off at my current address instead.

didn't say you hadn't removed it, just pointed out that was the reason you were told to since you didn't seem to get it. hope you do get someone with rolly eyes and a tutty tongue since you two'll be well met lol. just kidding hope it goes well.

Unless things have changed very recently they have to send someone out for the "fiber" (really FTTC) install anyway.
It has changed earlier this year - self installs are now allowed. Not all ISPs offer it though - some still do a managed install.

It's followed a similar path to ADSL. When ADSL first came out, the first installs were engineer only, then after a while and it became "known stuff" they allowed self installs. With FTTC they've done much the same - start off with engineer installs and a supplied modem so you've a known setup, then when it's settled down and people understand it (and most importantly - they've seen how it's performing on real customers' lines), allow self installs.

Also, to start with there were few (if any) VDSL2 modems/routers on the market. Now there are quite a few.

Sponsored Links
Side note- on the application form I said I wasn't living at the address. They're sending out the hub in a couple week but it seems like it'll be going to the house. Not good since I told them I'm not living there.

I hope it isn't needed for the engineers visit. Will call BT to see if they'll drop it off at my current address instead.

As long as you've got a letterbox at the house don't worry - the packaging of the HomeHub is designed to fit through them so postie shouldn't need to knock on the door and it shouldn't be left outside either!

That's a surprise then. The hub itself i can see fitting, if it's anything like the netgear ones i've had, but the packaging too?

Anyway i looked on the website & it says if they can't make delivery it'll get left at the sorting office, so fingers crossed that happens & i can pick it up no problem.

Also please excuse the dirt & dust on the windowsill & window and the mould, well that's an ongoing problem that's getting addressed next year...

I wonder if this wiring is cause of the damp on that section of the wall. It's about the right level & there's no drip loop on the outside - it just feeds straight in, but anyway, i posted to show you that there's no master socket there, just wiring.

Hopefully an engineer will be on his way on the day :)

Thanks everyone for your help.

I wonder if this wiring is cause of the damp on that section of the wall. It's about the right level & there's no drip loop on the outside - it just feeds straight in...
It could well be - you'd better remove it and seal up the outside hole ASAP ;) Snip the loose ends off, but don't use your best wire cutters as there maybe some steel tension members in the cable.

How'd you suggest sealing up? Silicone? When Sky fitted a wire at my mums that's how they sealed around the wire.

I don't imagine yanking on the wire to be a good idea. I started pulling from the inside & it started busting the plaster.

It looks like it's been plastered in, and may be trapped behind the frame if windows have been replaced. You'll need to dig out the plaster round it until it's free, and then pull it from outside.

As to sealing it, everyone uses silicone because it's so quick and simple. It's a bit of a bodge in some respects, and ideally you want to carefully fill in the hole and make good the rendering on the outside. That may mean slightly enlarging the hole to get back to the proper level (there's often a bit of a bulge when cables have been plastered or rendered around) and carefully filling the hole with some sand/cement mix to match the render. If the outside is painted then that's great - once the render has set you can paint over it, and if you've matched the level and texture then it'll be invisible.
Or you can stuff some mastic in the hole and paint over it.

Inside, just fill the hole with a bit of filler and paint over it.

That's a surprise then. The hub itself i can see fitting, if it's anything like the netgear ones i've had, but the packaging too?

Yep. http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-5-90RY.html

Additionally, the BT Home Hub 5 will keep the brilliant features introduced in BT Home Hub 4, including Smart Dual-Band technology, Smart Setup and a great new design that fits through most letterboxes* as well as a processor that is 3 times faster than other most common wireless routers.

*If you select a tracked or next day delivery service, courier may not be able to post the BT Home Hub 4 through your letterbox

pulling the cable from the outside in a sharp movement is how i remove them without damaging plaster.

So i'm wanting to drill through the ceiling in order to feed the cat6 cable i bought.

Since this is a pre-made one, the connector is on the end. I got a piece of timber to run some test holes to see which bit i needed to get the cable through.

I got the biggest drill bit i had which i knew from the off wasn't big enough.

The one that was just enough to get the connector through was one of these....

M075818P01WL.jpg

Forget the number on that image. It's just for illustration purposes only as i can't remember the exact number.

The ceiling i imagine would be original plaster/lath.

Is this drill bit suitable for going through the ceiling?

That aside, it's obviously just enough for the connector but it's way more than enough for the cabling itself. How'd you pack out the hole? I guess filler but i'd also like the option of being able to pull the cable through if the need ever arose, so some sort of grommitt perhaps?

You need about 20mm to get a terminated cable through. I use bulk cable and terminate afterwards, but I realise a lot of people aren't up to that (and don't have the tools).

To fill the excess hole, I'd try wrapping a piece of plastic bag round the cable to stop the filler sticking to it, then rip off any that's showing after you're done.

EDIT: If it's lath & plaster then I'd be inclined to use something a bit less savage than a flat bit. A hole saw is probably what I'd use.

just fill the hole normally. in the (unlikely) event you need to pull more through in the future, the filler will come away with a light tug.

agree with the holes aw, but a spade bit can be used carefully (sharp and let the bit do the work). I use 16mm for rj11 plugs so 20mm sounds about right for rj45.

Yeah i ran testers on a plank of wood so whatever the number was it was literally just enough for the end to go through.

Anyway i'd already done the hole by the time i got back to this thread. Routed everything through & tested it so it's all working.

All i need now it some corner moulding to hide the cable & for the modem/router/hub to be delivered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back