Going fibre broadband & moving master socket.

the guy you get might be happy to do it. I wouldn't consider myself a jobsworth, but I contract for openreach atm and the rates for jobs are squeezed so much (Bt are hardfaced bastards) I wouldn't do anything over and above the contract without getting something back, in my hand for doing it (not biscuits lol)

Sponsored Links
That's handy that you do this then-

So you can go through the time & trouble of wiring in extensions (or singular at least) but you're not allowed to just connect up existing extensions which are already in place & therefore quicker?

Unless I'm missing something which I probably am, can't you just connect it up & said you wired it in fresh? Then put your feet up for the remaining time you allocated a fresh install (or zip on to the next job, whichever is your preference) :)

there's no time allocated like that (I wish) it's a fixed rate per job. and if you want something extra done that openreach aren't paying for I don't see the harm in offering the guy £10 in his hand to connect and test them for you.

Sponsored Links
You're on a 'DIY' themed forum, however you seem to be objecting to connecting up three cores for your phone extensions yourself.

Perhaps you'd be happy to pay Openreach the extra cost for connecting up the extensions, but it's not exactly difficult.

The fact is Openreach would, I'm sure, need to satisfy the test requirements on your 'old' internal wiring. Also once they connect it up, they then become responsible for future faults on the internal wiring, which I don't suppose would come without a cost.

But then, maybe I'm wrong about that as well.

But then, maybe I'm wrong about that as well.
Think you might be!

I was under the impression that these days regardless of what Openreach installed there was only an ongoing responsibility for the actual line into NTE. Everything else became your property.

if you pay £120 for an extension socket they guarantee it for a year. still not worth it mind.

but the staff of openreach has changed massively in the last few years with work being contracted out, sad to say that tea and biccys (or persuasive arguments of "it'll only take you 2 minutes" doesn't go far these days, if someone wants something extra it costs like everything else.

Not a problem paying them. I wasn't aware id have to specify that in this thread but now I have we can all relax :)

And difficulty is about knowledge. Nothing is difficult if you know what you're doing. Having never done this before, I don't.
How many folk went out in the first round of who wants to be a millionaire, yet they were easy questions right?

One thing you've not mentioned is where the cable comes down from the pole.
If it comes across to the house above the existing socket, down the wall and into the socket then it'll be "a hassle" to move it elsewhere. If (for example) it comes across to the green X side of the house, then down and across, it'll be a lot easier to move it.

One thing you've not mentioned is where the cable comes down from the pole.
If it comes across to the house above the existing socket, down the wall and into the socket then it'll be "a hassle" to move it elsewhere. If (for example) it comes across to the green X side of the house, then down and across, it'll be a lot easier to move it.
I had a look today

It hits the fascia board at the top of the house & then trails down to the existing (red X) master socket.

Couldn't they just trail it across the top of the house & then down to where i want it - the green X? Is is that easier said than done? If so, then how difficult is it to do that?

depends where the pole is. but the guy still has to put the socket where you ask, so it's up to him to deal with that.

forget about the old extension wiring and get some cat5/6 and run that in
The ADSL signal is designed to make the best use of low twist telephone cable CW1308, If you use CAT 5 or 6 cable to take the ADSL signal to the router / modem then the much higher twist will reduce the quality of the ADSL signals to and from the router / modem.

Do you happen to have meaningful measurements to back up this oft-repeated theory?

depends where the pole is. but the guy still has to put the socket where you ask, so it's up to him to deal with that.
Pole is outside about 3 or 4 houses down the street.

Having said that, when i go tomorrow & look, it'll be more like 6 or 7 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back