Multiple Phone Extensions (BT)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

A quick and probably silly question - if I want two BT phone extensions should they be wired as one cable going from the master socket - extension 1 - extension 2, or should each extension have a wire back to the master socket - or doesn't it matter?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
or doesn't it matter?

For only 2 extensions, it doesn't matter.

Any more than two extensions and they should all be in a daisy chain, because otherwise you would end up with 3 or more wires to push into each of the IDC slots in the lower part of the master socket. IDC slots are only designed for a maximum of 2 wires of equal diameter.

It can be got around with junction boxes or 3 way jelly crimps, etc, but that's just adding more work and cost.

For only 2 extensions, it doesn't matter.

Any more than two extensions and they should all be in a daisy chain, because otherwise you would end up with 3 or more wires to push into each of the IDC slots in the lower part of the master socket. IDC slots are only designed for a maximum of 2 wires of equal diameter.

It can be got around with junction boxes or 3 way jelly crimps, etc, but that's just adding more work and cost.

Thanks. I will probably daisy-chain then, just in case I want to add another extension to the end. I doubt I will, but I have made the mistake of thinking "oh, I won't need to do that" before....

Sponsored Links
I will probably daisy-chain then, just in case I want to add another extension to the end.

You could still add a third extension in the future whichever way you wire it now, as long as it comes off of extension 1 or 2, and not from the master.

If you daisy chain now, then you couldn't add a third extension from extension 1, because you've got the 'three wires into an IDC slot' problem again. It can be got around still, but just try to avoid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back