Telephone wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a computer engineer and got called to an address with no internet access. I removed the front plate of the master socket but as I did this I notice only three cables were connected to the front plate, one of them was loose not connected to anything.

I connected the router to the test socket and sure enough it worked. The problem is another wire also fell out, so I don't know what the correct wiring diagram is to put all the cables back.

What I do have is this:-

3 - Orange White
5 - White with a blue stripe.

I have wired a couple of extensions in my own house before and do a lot of CAT5 wiring but I don't know what order to put back the two wires which fell out (and hopefully the cause of the problem).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
blue with white needs to go to 2 you only need 3 wire for extension 2 and 5 and 3 for bell

There is another expension on the top floor too, which is confusing but thanks I will reconnect that wire and see what happens. I think I probably have to get my telephone engineer out I usually use in this situations like this but if I can fix it all the better.

Only need to connect to 2 and 5, doesn't matter which way round.

As long as the phone plug socket has the yellow blob in it (capacitor I think) it will ring without the third wire.

Sponsored Links

As long as the phone plug socket has the yellow blob in it (capacitor I think) it will ring without the third wire.
That means you will have two master sockets on one line. Not recommended as it can degrade the speech quality on a long line and can appear as a line fault during line testing. And some capacitors are grey, white or blue depending on manufacturer.

That means you will have two master sockets on one line. Not recommended as it can degrade the speech quality on a long line and can appear as a line fault during line testing. And some capacitors are grey, white or blue depending on manufacturer.
Multiple master sockets on a single line can also do for broadband speeds roughly what myxomatosis does for rabbits. That may even be at the root of the problem the OP is trying to solve.

doubt it, ive seen it been done and done it that way for years with no problems for broadband or phone.

doubt it, ive seen it been done and done it that way for years with no problems for broadband or phone.

Yes, it can work.... for a while.
Have you ever checked the DSL line speeds after an installation has been running for a few days, and noticed the speed has dropped from it's initial rate as the router and DSLAM try to stabilise the excessive error rate it creates?

I frequently had the 'pleasure' of trying to tidy up such poor installations where an initial 2 Mbit speed had dropped, sometimes to as little as 128Kbit. I don't think the customers liked getting billed for the time we spent doing it either.

Don't forget that a lot of phones these days don't even use the bell line - having been made for "2 wire" systems. The main reason we have a 3 wire system is because we had pulse dialling for so long - the separate bell wire allows a pulse dialling instrument to short it during dialling to avoid bell tinkle.
Even with pulse dialling, a lot of electronic ringers had anti-tinkle built in - again because that was required for the 2 wire systems common elsewhere in the world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back