• cheap mesh (£40)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • expensive mesh (£70 +)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so I'm picking up a new car today and going to have 3 cars at my house temporarily until I can get my old car sold. I'm thinking 2 on the drive and 1 on the lawn (didn't want to be a nuisance to neighbours and park on the road).

Just wondering what my best option would be, I'm thinking this would only be a month or two while I get my car ready and sold. It's just a tiny hatchback (1015kg).

1. just park on the lawn and repair the grass after, if the car isn't going to be moved much don't think it can cause that much damage? my only concern is we have been having a lot of wet weather recently...

2. get 4 old free paving slabs (found some on facebook) and just lay them down over the top of the lawn, then just drive onto them. Not sure if this could potentially cause even more damage?

3. found these cheap garden mesh I could lay down, don't know how effective it is since it's considerably cheaper than a lot of other meshes I found - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grass-Protection-Reinforcement-Plastic-Easimat/dp/B00Q8SCBPK?th=1
http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/grass-pr...tion-mesh-gm450.html#/grassmesh-gm450_1m_x10m

4. searching for "temporary car park lawn" brings back a lot of companies selling heavy duty mesh to lay down, costing £70 - £150.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is cheaper to repair the lawn than buy any temporary solution

My mate often parks on his lawn for a couple of weeks with no problems

A bit of an eye sore, but some scaffold planks to avoid you getting bogged in or tearing up holes in the soil. You'll be amazed how a small slab distributes the load. A typical 45 by 45 slab will reduce the pressure by a factor of 4 at least (e.g. 185 tyres with a 5-10cm contact patch)

London Council where i lived would not allow that but thats councils for you.

Departing from the topic (just 1 question) What car have you got for sale & rough location ?.

Sponsored Links
Check your car and house insurance companies are ok with your idea. You are increasing the risk of key burglary. 3 sets of keys somewhere in the house could be tempting to the local scumbags.

London Council where i lived would not allow that but thats councils for you.

Departing from the topic (just 1 question) What car have you got for sale & rough location ?.

Yeah I've heard some places can be funny with that, not sure if it's ok where I am, but this should only be temporary (month or 2 max) hopefully doesn't attract too much attention. If they do object against this I'll just have to park on the road.

It's a VW Lupo GTI, North East

Unless there is a covenant on your house, a local bylaw or you can't get to your lawn from the drop curb, then there isn't much anyone can do.

Have you got tax?

Park on the road, and nice car, how much are you selling it for?

No I don't, the idea was that I would declare it SORN so I'm not paying tax and insurance while I'm fixing her up ready for sale, would be looking for about 2.5k once she's ready. Just didn't want to tax and insure 2 cars while there's no ads up.

So I tried driving onto some paving slabs and the ground was too soft to get the car onto them, the slabs were getting lift up as I tried to get the wheels on.. just going to park straight on the lawn for now... thanks for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back