Temporary problem

BL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electricity board have cut out all the fuses in a bar we are working at due to a dispute about the previous tenants bill.

There is a single phase supply in an ajacent room and basically i was going to run from the escos there down to the three phase board with the power cut out and connect the single phase with the few essential circuits fire alarm, cctv, few sockets for fridges and a lighting supply. The bar cannot open due to the toilets not being lit and cant keep stocked due to the alarms being of. This is purely a temporary solution.

I was thinking 6mm hi tuff would be sufficient. It will be just clipped direct inside throughout but should i put it through an MCB. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Temrorary solutions tend to become all too permenent. What advantage does your proposed solution give you? I suggest either sort things with the supplier or contact agrekko (other generator hire providers are available) for help.

Aside.

'Should I put it through an MCB'

Well, all circuits should be fused appropriately, and thats about the size of the matter.

• Thanks
Reactions: BL
Cheers but the thing with the dispute is it is going to take a few weeks to sort and the owner is losing alot of money which is not his fault.

As for the mcb that was probably a silly question but it will be feeding a phase on a board where all circuits are all fused appropiately. As it will be coming from the 70A supply i will probably stick a breaker on it but I just cant seem to find the ratings for hituf.

would it not be cheaper in the long run for the current tennant to just pay the bill if they're loosing so much per day? then recover the costs at a later date?

Sponsored Links
If you really must give service why not run a 25mm feed to a new cu co located adjacent to the 3 phase board.

Then re route the required essential service circuits off the 3 p board on to the single phase temp CU.

This prevents anyone turning things on that they shouldn't. So prevents potential overloads of having a 1 p supply cope with 3 p demand.

It also and essentially is something an EIC can be written against :)

The electricity board have cut out all the fuses in a bar we are working at due to a dispute about the previous tenants bill.

There is a single phase supply in an ajacent room
So if the supplier has removed the service fuses for the bar, who owns that supply in the adjacent room? No matter what the reason, if the supplier believes that they have cut off the supply, using another one may not be kosher, and you might end up an accessory to theft.

And on a general note, I advise great caution anyway - how can you be sure that the story you've been told is true, and that the real problem is not unpaid bills owed by the current occupants?

If you really must give service why not run a 25mm feed to a new cu co located adjacent to the 3 phase board.

Then re route the required essential service circuits off the 3 p board on to the single phase temp CU.

This prevents anyone turning things on that they shouldn't. So prevents potential overloads of having a 1 p supply cope with 3 p demand.

It also and essentially is something an EIC can be written against :)

There is no need for 25mm for all that will be on it. As I have said it is just temporary. Going to go for 6mm hituf protected by a 63a mcb. Maximum allowed is 63a according to table 4E2A in the regs.

Actually is Hituff table 4D2A then i will drop the mcb down to 50a

So if the supplier has removed the service fuses for the bar, who owns that supply in the adjacent room? No matter what the reason, if the supplier believes that they have cut off the supply, using another one may not be kosher, and you might end up an accessory to theft.

And on a general note, I advise great caution anyway - how can you be sure that the story you've been told is true, and that the real problem is not unpaid bills owed by the current occupants?

The off sales is the ajacent room. That meter is under the new owners name. I am not bringing them a new supply simply getting them temporary power to get their lights, alarms on etc.

I see your point as in that the story may not be true.

With me protecting the cable with the 63a I dont see how alterations if made at a later date could create a dangerous situation as it will simply not cope with more demand. All youe views appreciated.

There is no need for 25mm for all that will be on it. As I have said it is just temporary. Going to go for 6mm hituf protected by a 63a mcb. Maximum allowed is 63a according to table 4E2A in the regs.

afaik Hi-tuf is a 70 deg cable so 4D2A is more appropriate. How is the cable to be installed?

• Thanks
Reactions: BL

afaik Hi-tuf is a 70 deg cable so 4D2A is more appropriate. How is the cable to be installed?

basically it will be tie wrapped along an existing conduit as i have been promised it is temporary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back