Temporary roof repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. The roof of my terraced house has a few leaks and the kitchen wall is very wet. I can't currently afford a new roof, but wanted to tarp a section up as a temporary waterproofing measure. Forgive me if this sounds ridiculous, but would it be feasible to hold around 3 square metres of visqueen or tarp in place by using flashband to stick down the edges? Its a slate roof with a fairly low pitch. I would appreciate any advice. I am only looking to through the next few months. Thanks in advance.
Tony.

Sponsored Links
No it wont work - it will blow off

your best bet is to get some Visqueen and some timber battens.

fix the Visqueen to the timber battens by sandwiching the plastic between two battens

you need to end up with your Visqueen and a pair of batten either side -and have some Visqueen loose above one end of the battens

then fix some rope or similar to one end of the battens

you want to end up with the lower end of the batten screwed to the fascia somehow, the top of the batten need the rope -which must be thrown over the ridge, then fixed on the other side

the top of the Visqueen has to lap under a row of tiles

I know it works Ive done on listed buildings a few times

Typically a roof will leak from a small area like a broken slate or ridge, or a few small areas. These can be patched. I can't visualise why 3m2 of roof would need covering.

You don't really want a sheet of anything flapping on a pitched roof it will be noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back