Slates on a 10° pitch roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a temporary storage shed and since I have quite a lot of old spare slates lying around, my builder/roofer said he could use those for the roof with a single felt lining, despite it being only a 10° pitch.

Everything I've read seems to imply that a slate roof below 20° is a bad idea, but the area is rather sheltered from the wind (although still wet), and my builder hasn't showed any concern.

Am I likely to get leaks or other complications? Any advice or extra info on why slates aren't recommended on a low-pitch roof would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome xce1 :D :D :D
yes your correct the only waterproofing will be the felt
the slate will look nice and protect the felt from direct sunlight and impact

If only temporary and sheltered then it'll probably be OK may get the odd drip as inevitably the felt is punctured more so if you get a windy wet night. Don't skimp on the lap.

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

My builder has noticed it himself now that the posts are up(I think he needed to actually see it to realise!) and is probably going to be able to get it to 15° pitch which is good.

Sponsored Links
My builder / roofer??? Why don't you get an actual roofer?

I wouldn't get my electrician to build a wall or my dentist to give my wife a heart transplant!

Seriously though, after 25 years in the game, the amount of people that put faith in their 'builder' to do absolutely anything and everything that they are not qualified to do around the home bewilders me.

ANYONE WHO READS THIS, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GET THE RIGHT PERSON TO DO THE RIGHT JOB, SIMPLES!

Well given the fact that he is going to be paying someone to do it then surely a roofer would have a better idea than a general builder? Any roofer that has worked in the trade will have been to many jobs where a builder has had a go and got it wrong. I know I have!

Well it is just a temporary structure (I just want some dry storage that will last 2-3years), and trying to find a good builder as well as a good roofer is more work and more money + any logistical issues that arise between them - which to me is not worth it for a small job.

Also my builder isn't just some amateur who thinks he can work out how to put a roof up, he has been doing actual roofing jobs for 20 odd years. Not as good as the real deal sure, but good enough.

Advice/opinion on the roof and/or why he's doing it wrong would have been so much more useful than generic "bad builder" criticism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back