Tempura or "memory" foam - what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife went and wasted £60 on a memory foam mattress cover and I hate it - it's hot and sweaty, smells odd, you can't turn over and you sink into it. After 3 nights I've woken this morning with backache.

I suspect this may be the biggest con perpetuated on the mattress buying public - a cheap foam made slighty differently from the usual expanded latex or whatever it is, which just recovers more slowly and is sold for a huge profit. Anybody know?

Sponsored Links
Totally opposite to the OP, I used to have lots of back problems, our mattress was the cause of lots of them I think.

Got a new Myers bed with 50mm memory foam on top and my back has improved no end, I can get up without back ache because it molds itself to my back.

Perhaps your just not used to it yet, they do say in the shops it takes a couple of weeks to get used to it before you recognise how better they are.

i've got memory foam and it's fantastic, had it 2 years now and i don't get a back ache in the mornings like i used to.

Sponsored Links
I always thought the harder the surface you sleep on the better as you don't want your body sinking into a bed I wouldn't have thought?

I always thought the harder the surface you sleep on the better as you don't want your body sinking into a bed I wouldn't have thought?

This is a common misconception put about by people without chronic back pain. Any lifer knows hard mattresses or even boards are the worst thing for their back. One week at the inlaws spells a month of exacerbation. The mother in law spouting the above tripe doesn't help the situation.

"Don't tell me what's good for a bad back when you clearly don't have one!" I used to think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back