Terminal loose on Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been on the roof to check on the terminal on the chimney stack which is loose, as it's been up there for 17 years.

The terminal (cowl?) is loose, the flexible tube in the flue is just long enough to reach the benching on the top of the chimney stack, so i can't push it into the terminal.
I pushed the terminal back into the hole in the top of the chimney stack for the time being to stop it (the terminal) rattling about in the wind.

There are no holes in the terminal for screws to fasten the flexible pipe to.
can i ask if the terminal (cowl?) should be fastned to the flexible tubing in the chimney flue?.

Can i fix the terminal to the chimney stack in place using concrete repair product (silicone sulphate it hink it's called) ?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
WHat's the appliance? Back boiler?

The important things are the seals at the red dots.

image004fh3.gif

It won't be very hot up there so what you're suggesting sounds fine to me.

Ouch!! doesn't look like the diagram!
The flexible tubing is loose in the flue, the terminal sitting loose over it, and just pushed into a hole in the cement benching on the top of the stack.
does the blue represent a metal plate for the terminal to fix into? if so then that is not there.

That being the case, could i fix it or is that a corgi registered job?

The blue is a clamping plate, the cement flaunching should cover this. The liner will give but the terminal should be secure. Any work carried out on a flue should be checked within accordance etc etc...

Sponsored Links
Ignore the diagram, some of it is totally wrong, the rest is just fantasy. It was drawn by someone who has never done the job.
The flexible liner should have a flat clamp-plate round it. This is to support the weight of the liner, and to facilitate sealing the top with concrete/mortar. If the liner hasn't moved in 17 years, it wont move now.
Just reseal with new concrete or mortar, and it will be fine.

If you want to secure the terminal to the liner, drill and fit 2 self tappers.

Ignore the diagram, some of it is totally wrong, the rest is just fantasy. It was drawn by someone who has never done the job.
The flexible liner should have a flat clamp-plate round it. This is to support the weight of the liner, and to facilitate sealing the top with concrete/mortar. If the liner hasn't moved in 17 years, it wont move now.
Just reseal with new concrete or mortar, and it will be fine.

If you want to secure the terminal to the liner, drill and fit 2 self tappers.

In what way is it wrong? I think Chris gave a good diagram there. Basic enough for the OP to understand. Which is what was requested.

The liner should come up through the clamping plate. Unlike the drawing which shows the terminal clamped

There's a crude but more accurate drawing in my profile. If anybody knows how to put it on here for future reference, please do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back