Terracotta tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in an Edwardian terrace and have the original terracotta tiles on the hall floor. How do we bring them up like new again? What is best to use for cleaning them, and what sort of polish do you recommend? The tiles are in a pattern, with browns, cream and blue, so can't really use a coloured polish.

Oh they might actually be quarry tiles? I'm not sure! Flooring novice, thats me LOL!

Sponsored Links
lizzy are they the ones that are cut to an almost islamic looking repeat pattern?
if so they are probably porcelain and are fairly immune to almost everything - try solvents and then detergents to get rid of old dirt probably trapped in an ancient layer of wax. sometimes they can go dull with abbrasion you can sort this with a wire brush or if really bad some fine wet and dry paper used wet.

nearly forgot - to polish them?
why bother? clear wax will do it but you will have to keep it up.

i'd just wash them with washing up liquid and hot water. a good tip is to make the last rinse soapy and let it dry - then buff them up

Thanks for your reply, I've since found out they are 'encaustic' tiles, if that means anything?

Sponsored Links
Lizzy. I know encaustic as an art term that means using pigments in wax with heat to make paintings - but have discovered that it has a specific meaning in ceramics, to quote the OED "(of bricks and tiles) inlaid with differently coloured clays burnt in."
this probably means that the tiles are body coloured ceramic, probably porcelain because it is white to begin with and therefore gives better brighter colours.
If this is the case you need not be too sheepish with how you deal with them - porcelain for floortiles is very resilient stuff. just bear in mind that they probably have years of dried in wax and grime on them. anything you do to remove it probably wont hurt the tiles, short of using very coarse abrasives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back