Terrible cutting in!!......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a little advice from somebody with better skills than me!
In the process of re-decorating our bedroom, wife wanted a feature wall behind the bed, so this has been painted in a really dark blue.
The remaining three walls are a very light Magnolia type colour.
Have managed to cut in along the ceiling and skirting board reasonably well, (bearing in mind the contrast between the two colours), but am having the devil's own job trying to cut in down the sides.
What's not helping is the fact that the two side walls are papered in a textured lining paper and getting a straight edge is impossible, no matter how careful I try to be.
I was thinking of caulking the two corners top to bottom to try to help but then thought about buying some really thin (6mm) quadrant moulding, painting it in the blue before sticking it up tight into the corners.
Do you think this would work, or would it look totally naff????
Your thoughts would be appreciated, as I don't want it to end up looking like the inside of a pre-fab or caravan!!
Rob

Sponsored Links
you could try frog tape down sides paint blue then take of tape. or tell the wife to paint it.

I frog tape all feature walls, yellow one normally - far less chance of peeling your feature wall for a marginal reduction in paint-blocking ability.

Another quick and dirty option if you've got nice sharp corners is to jam a large taping knife right in there as a shield - make sure you wipe it off each time you move it though, or it'll bleed onto the other wall.

Sponsored Links
Or get some magnolia caulk and either run your fingers down it or use a wet sponge! If this doesn't work you at least the edge should be nice and smooth for re painting!
Easiest way to cut in is to water the paint down a little bit!

Thanks for your responses lads. I'm trying a few things, good job I've got plenty of blue (and magnolia) paint left over to cover my mistakes lol!!
New carpet going down on Tuesday so got a deadline I'm working to.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Went with the 6mm quadrant in the end. I had a go with caulk, but it wasn't as neat as I wanted.
Don't think it looks too bad at all, and hardly noticeable.
PXL_20210328_114426553.jpg PXL_20210328_114413692.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back