Terrible noise from pipes in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes get an unbelievably loud grinding / banging noise from the pipes in my loft - it seems to originate at the cold water tank. It sounds like a really loud hammer drill, but you can actually feel it through your feet! It lasts for between a few seconds to about half a minute, and I'm worried something is going to break catastrophically if I don't do something about this.
Does anyone know what causes this, and what can be done to fix it - is it just a bad ball valve or air in the pipes? Would a water hammer arrester solve the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would start by looking at the float valve in the cold (large) water storage tank in loft. Worth trying a new valve, or you could first try isolating water supply to the valve and seeing if you can still make the noise happen.

I would start by looking at the float valve in the cold (large) water storage tank in loft. Worth trying a new valve, or you could first try isolating water supply to the valve and seeing if you can still make the noise happen.
It's difficult to predict when it will happen, so I guess I'll try a replacement valve and see if that fixes it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back