Loud banging noises from pipes. No central heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today afternoon I heard some loud banging noises from the pipes/boiler. Ever since I have no central heating. I have a 8 yr old Potterton Suprima 50 boiler which now has its green light flashing. I turned off the boiler and switched it on after about an hour. Again I heard these loud bangs. I even saw the pipes near the cylinder vibrate. The noise was so loud I decided to switch of the boiler again. What's happening? Help pls.

Sponsored Links
Check 240V at pump terminals as well, as the boiler supplies the power for the pump.

Sponsored Links
remove the chrome screw on end of pump and, using a thin flat screwdriver, feel into hole to see if pump spinning

Ok, as your a novice as you put it, don't attempt to check the electric side of things as testing live electrics can be dangerous :eek:

We don't want you lighting up brighter than the xmas tree lights :LOL:

The pump is called Myson compact. There's a small nut on it which can be pulled out a bit and is presumably linked with the pump valves. It says on the pump not to switch on the pump till its pushed back in. How can I confirm if its working or not?

Ensure heating is off.

Put a cloth etc under the pump - you may get a little water loss.

Unscrew the plastic nut and gently pull out. It will lock into the pump rotor.

You should now be able to rotate the pump rotor and feel for binding etc.

Now switch on the boiler.

The plastic nut should rotate.

turn system off
unscrew nut, pull it out a bit and you should be able to turn the impelloor(you may get a bribble of water out so old cloths under it is advisable)
turn system on(with nut still out), nut will spin if pump is working.
turn system off again and do up nut

Looks like the pump's a goner. The nut wasn't spinning and all I could hear was a whine from the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back