Test equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What a great site, and alot of helpful info being given.

I am looking into starting up on my own as an electrician (dam you Part P!! :evil: ) and was wondering what test equipment is generally favoured by the regular sparks here??

I need a comproise between price and functionality, but obviously need to have all functions for 16th ed testing, mainly on domestic properties

You help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Don't compromise on functionality; get a decent bit of kit. A current top seller is Fluke's 1652, which you can get for around £600 + VAT if you shop around.

Alternatively, try E-Bay - there's always somebody selling test equipment. Search for '16th Edition Tester'. But make sure it comes with a calibration certificate.

Have you got City & Guilds 2381 and 2391? If not you'll have a job convincing the powers that be that you are competent to self-certify when Part P comes in and I suspect insurance may be hard to get (or claim on) without the necessary bits of paper.

Best of luck

dingbat said:
Don't compromise on functionality; get a decent bit of kit. A current top seller is Fluke's 1652, which you can get for around £600 + VAT if you shop around.

Alternatively, try E-Bay - there's always somebody selling test equipment. Search for '16th Edition Tester'. But make sure it comes with a calibration certificate.

Have you got City & Guilds 2381 and 2391? If not you'll have a job convincing the powers that be that you are competent to self-certify when Part P comes in and I suspect insurance may be hard to get (or claim on) without the necessary bits of paper.

Best of luck

Has anyone got any views on the AlphaTEK 16th Edn Testers, my local supplier has got them up for sale at approx 550 quid.

Regarding the Quals - I have 2381 and 2391 but am not clear on how the Part P is supposed to affect us (I know it is from the Building Regs ) .

Appreciate your thoughts.

:confused:

Hi,

Thanks alot Dingbat for the reply.

Yes I have C & G 2381 and 2391, although am at present working in electronics :confused:

Have always wanted to take the dive and work for myself, and I guess it is time I seriously tried.

I do like the lok of the Fluke 1652/1653. Better get some overtime in!!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just a quick one.............

I have C & G 2381 and 2391, Do I need any other qualifications to work as a self employed electrician? Im just trying to plan timewise, and moneywise how long it would take me to achieve.

I have carried out alot of electrical work, albeit for friends an family, and is all up to BS7671.

Any advise from the regular pro's would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dom

sparkydom said:
...I have carried out a lot of electrical work... all up to BS7671.

Did you issue the appropriate certification for every job? If not then you've breached BS7671 already! :D

Check out the NICEIC site, especially their membership requirements. With 2381 and 2391 you have all the theory qualifications to satisfy them. If you think you'd survive an inspection then I'd say you're in a good position to go for it. (I'm not saying you have to join NICEIC, just that if you can satisfy them you'll have no problem satisfying whichever self-cert scheme you opt for.)

Thanks again Dingbat!

You got me there on the testing forms :( although the bigger jobs were tested by a qualified electrician I was working with.

I'll check the NICEIC site out and see where it leaves me.

Many thanks again

Dom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back