testing and flushing a new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy and gals. I am expecting a delivery of a new cast iron radiator. I was told that the radiator will need to be tested and flushed before being installed. Should I flush it with a garden hose? To test it, is it enough to plug the other side with my finger and watch out for any leaks?

Sponsored Links
No on both points.

If it is an old radiator, it will need to be power flushed by someone with a machine. They would use chemicals to help remove sediment from within the radiator.

The radiator will need to be tested under pressure comparable to what would be in your system. How that would be done without fitting the radiator, i don't know but if you are having someone flush the radiator, they may also be able to pressure test it

No on both points.

If it is an old radiator, it will need to be power flushed by someone with a machine. They would use chemicals to help remove sediment from within the radiator
The radiator is brand new so no need to remove sediments. Nevertheless, i was instructed by 21 Century Radiators to flush it. How shal i do that?

The radiator will need to be tested under pressure comparable to what would be in your system. How that would be done without fitting the radiator, i don't know but if you are having someone flush the radiator, they may also be able to pressure test it
I can easily fit the radiator and test it like that. Is that what you plumbers do normally?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i missed the fact it was new.

In that case, I think flushing it with a garden hose would be fine. Im sure there wouldn't be much inside it but double check with the suppliers that that would be ok.

Yes fit the radiator as you would, fully open the valves on either side and periodically check for leaks. I would give it at least 48 hours under pressure to ensure that it's ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back