testing heated floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mothers heated floor has stopped working and I think its the controller because it has been playing up for a while, is it ok to connect the supply direct to the load ie to the floor to prove the floor heats up still without the controller. Its a 500watt floor and the element tests out ok.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My mothers heated floor has stopped working and I think its the controller because it has been playing up for a while, is it ok to connect the supply direct to the load ie to the floor to prove the floor heats up still without the controller. Its a 500watt floor and the element tests out ok.
What do you mean by "the element tests out OK"?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, either wire it through the thermostat or don't leave it on very long.

However, if it tests ok - continuity, correct resistance value and insulation resistance - it will be ok

I dont have figures now but I think it was 125 ohms on multimeter which I calculated at about 460watts assuming exzctly 240volts. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
I dont have figures now but I think it was 125 ohms on multimeter which I calculated at about 460watts assuming exzctly 240volts. Is this correct?
That calculation is correct. I'm slightly surprised the resistance is that high, since it will increase when it heats up. However, it's clearly in the right ball park, so it does seem very probable that the controller is at fault.

Kind Regards, John

Or the probe. What is the resistance of the probe (it will be in Kilo Ohms).
Most controllers will give an error indication if the probe is faulty though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back