testing of an air admittance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you test to see if an air admittance valve , like on top of a stub stack, is working correctly ? as looking under the toilet will not flush FAQ section it says this may be a cause and i am a bit confused how to check for this. please can anyone clarify? thanks in adv.

Sponsored Links
If you can access the valve, take it off, if the toilet then flushes ok, fit a new valve.

hi - thanks i did what you said - although i had to cut some of the stub stack off as the air admittance valve was solvent wlded in! - then the toilet flushed! i bought a push fit aav and it is fine now, only thing is my stub stack is about 5-6 inches shorter now-not that it makes a difference though really.

why would the aav have caused this problem though: i am trying to work it out in my head and it seems weird! i would like to know why this happened and if it is a rare thing?

Sponsored Links
If its not allowing air in it causes a vaccum (imagine a glass of water upside down if you tilt it or let air in it'll fly out). Stub stack should be 800mm from the floor (i think, someone will be along in a minute to correct me if i'm wrong)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back