air admittance problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gurgling toilet is leaving me feeling vexed!

Ok summary

toilet has always gurgled since I lived here ( 6years). Toilet flushes and the pan starts to empty. Then pan contiues to empty until it slurps air throughthe toilet trap. It stops after a min or two and the water level returns to normal in the pan.

Recently replaced toilet with new one and the problem is worse. I'm starting to get suspicous and think its an air admittace problem. (I think the new toilet connector seals better than the old one did)

The plumbers thought it could be a blocked drain so I got drain people in, no blockage.
The toilet is a downstairs cloakroom, not joined to a soil stack. There are strange ground levels around the house, so the distance from the toilet to the first manhole cover is about 5m horizontaly and about 2.5m down.

Is there a way to check if it is an air admittance problem?

The soil pipe comes up through the floor directly behind the toilet. ( great for a straight forward 90 deg toilet connector!)
All the diagrams I have seen for fitting air admittance valves have the toilet fitted to a pipe section that falls away, joining a stack to the side with an air admittance valve on top.
Is there a way I can fit one by teeing into the existing pipe work? Or have I got to start moving underfloor/underground drainage pipes!

Sponsored Links
Never sit on it and flush @same time :eek: ....You could get a pan connector with a connection for a waste pipe built in :idea: I`ve seen them around........ then put a mini air admit. valve onto the stub.you can get them to fit waste pipe. Probably breaks several regs. but it`s gotta be better than leaving as is ;)

I've fitted a pan connector with a 1 1/4" waste boss on it. When I leave the waste connection uncapped and flush the loo it works! :D

I'm having trouble finding a 'mini air admit valve' do you know who does them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back