Testing VDE Pliers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tested my VDE (German) pliers today and found a trace voltage on some parts of the insulated section. They are very new and was surprised to find between 0.2V and 0.7V on different rubber sections??
Can anyone explain if this is normal? :confused:

Was going to get some Class OO gloves to back the pliers up.

Sponsored Links
What voltage did you use to test them? 0.2v or 0.7v isn't really a problem.

Sponsored Links
How did you check the pliers? A small amount of voltage picked up by a high impedance volt meter isn't going to be much of a problem, especially when the values you are quoting are less than those given out by most small batteries. (the only difference is mains is AC, batts are DC)

0.2 v !!

you get more than that from fresh air

A lot of volt meters will record more than that if you just hold one probe in each hand, without touching anything else.

Does that just mean your finger tingle while you work?

This begs the question "Why are you working live with pliers?"
Then why insulate anything, if a professional is so good he would never, ever get a shock...yes? I am trying ask about safety.

There are instances where live working is allowed. There are also instances where an electrician is working on a de-energised circuit and some numpty switches it back on. This is why the tools are insulated.
There are no guarantees you'll never get a shock, but you should minimise the risk.

As for testing, this is done by the manufacturer and I don't know of any kit available for us to field test. FYI, if you do come into contact with mains voltage, the insulation should protect you, but the pliers will almost certainly be destroyed and you'll probably need new undies.

some vde stuff has one colour insulation, and then another different colour over the top.

mine are red over white or yellow ,i dont know yet.

If the inner colour is exposed then the insulation could be suspect

I suppose you could megger them if your wary, wont guarentee safety, mut may give you some idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back