Texecom Elite - moving cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Premier Elite 48 with two Odyssey sounders, which was 'professionally' installed but which I now look after myself, after some very helpful advice here a few months ago.

Because of some work that I'm having done in the house I will need to disconnect the cable from the panel up to the sounders and re-run it by a different route.

I would like some advice on the best way of disabling the sounders while I do the re-wiring job, which I intend to complete within a day. Ideally I would prefer them not to sound at all.

I know the three-strobe-flash trick to temporarily disable the sounders, but will they stay in this condition if I disconnect all the wires?

There is a junction box in the loft where the rising cable from the panel is split to the two sounders, and I'll be connecting the new cable there. I've thought of removing the battery from the panel and temporarily connecting it there to maintain the sounders. If the 12v is temporarily broken after the strobe trick, will the sounders trigger?

I'd prefer not to have to get to the sounders outside if at all possible.

There's probably a better way of doing this - any advice will be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Run your cable,wire it to the same terminals in the j box, wire it in at the panel, swopping over the + and 0v last then go to j box and snip off the old cable a core at a time.

Thanks Sparky. I haven't looked at the j box recently, but I have a feeling it might be difficult to get an extra cable into it. If I do the temporary hold-off, will that keep the bells quiet even if I remove all the existing wires, or is that asking too much?

I've had a look at the junction box and it's going to be a bit messy to run an extra cable into the box.

But I have a spare 12v battery. It seems to me that if I put a temporary link from tamper to 0v inside the JB, and connect the battery across the JB terminals to replace the 12v supply from the panel, I can remove the old cable entirely from the JB and take my time to replace the new cable neatly. Isn't that right?

PS as a refinement I would connect the battery through a diode so that the 13v from the panel doesn't try to charge it when they are both connected.

Sal

Sponsored Links
Just back to report that I did it OK simply by using the engineering hold-off function, making sure none of the wires shorted and getting it all reconnected before the batteries ran down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back