Textured ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so I'm decorating a nursery and the ceiling is textured I tend to start now and think later, so I steamed in and started removing the ceiling texture with a steamer and scraper. Then I started to wonder whether it might contain asbestos so I stopped and here I am. Previous owner was a builder and only bought the house in 96, he then built the extension which this room is part of, so it seems unlikely, but then he was a builder and may have had a stockpile of old textured paint with asbestos in. It's pretty thin and came off fairly easily when steamed. Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Bodjit, good evening

You should consider having the material tested?

In general terms, anything prior to 2000 "Could / May" contain Asbestos?

Ken

i doubt that you've got anything to worry about.
cover up and wear a gas mask if you want, and thoroughly clean and vac all debris as the job progresses.

the other solution often used, is to board over and skim.

Thanks both, the plaster is good underneath so I want to remove it. Going to play safe I think and order a testing kit, which I guess at least allows me to put my feet up until the result comes back

Sponsored Links
Highly unlikely and since you are steaming it off all fibres will be wet and not airborne.

Hi Bodjit, textured coating with asbestos content was banned in 1992, but was still used right through into 1999 when the final prohibition in. What have looks like Sandtex rather than Artex but testing is the only way to be sure.
Please don't follow the comment saying use a gas mask and vac it up. Mask should be a P3 or FFP3, anything less will not stop very small asbestos fibres. Also, don't use a normal domestic vacuum cleaner. You need a Class H vacuum, which will stop 99.997% of fibres. A normal vac/hoover will not.
The HSE have made task sheets which can see to do job safely.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/

Whilst theoretically a single exposure to asbestos can cause mesothelioma, the actual risk (ie severity of hazard multiplied by the likelihood) is pretty low, as the chances are so low.

A lot of HSE advice is written for the trade, where you could be exposed day in day out, as you are working with it.

That being said, it's prudent to exercise caution, and steaming is one of the better methods as said, as it reduces the chances of airborne fibres. There is also a paintable gel you can get which will also help reduce the risk.

My house was built in 1996, and the Artex ceilings came back as NADIS- (No Asbestos detected in sample) I would advise to get any Artex tested no matter what the age if you are unsure.

Out of "Interest?"

If "Artex" is present in an Insurance Claim it is [almost] mandatory that it is tested , the exception being a property constructed well, well after 1990 / 2000 "Say" 2010

OK it can be very, very strongly commented on that the tests on properties [of say] 2003 + + should not have an ACM in Artex but shall I call it to avoid litigation as a general practice any and all Artex surfaces are tested. it can then be suggested that the test give added value £££ to the Insurance claim.

Depends on what price you place on workers health?? the test is not for the benefit of the home owner making the Insurance claim. it it to ensure that the insurance Company is free of any litigation that could arise from the builder and workforce engaged on an Insurance claim.

Bluntly the avoidance of risk?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back