Textured walls under paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
48221246-3649-490A-A2A0-F5BF91E03C9E.jpeg
48420423-DC08-4A12-B013-83ADEE4AF8BF.jpeg
Hi,

I just moved into a 1930s house and have started removing wallpaper to find textured walls. Does anyone know what this is? Seems very random and not thick like artex. I will likely get it plastered over but unsure if I should get it removed due to asbestos.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That looks as if it follows the pattern of the paper. Probably just paste?

The paper is totally flat, unless it’s paste from paper that’s been removed. It’s really random swirls and bumps. Not something nice to look at at all.

I had an old house with anaglypta or similar. The filler could be softened with a hot air gun and scraped off. Residue went very hard but could be sanded.

Sponsored Links
I am pretty sure that's just lazy prep by a PO.
If in doubt get it tested but 99% certain that it isn't

Try taking a bit off using a mask and water first - or steam and a pallete knife or scraper

I am pretty sure that's just lazy prep by a PO.
If in doubt get it tested but 99% certain that it isn't

Try taking a bit off using a mask and water first - or steam and a pallete knife or scraper

I thought that to start with but it’s the same in the living room, the hall and the master bedroom. It’s as if it’s in the main rooms of the house. Might have to do a test to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back