Removing textured ceiling/wall surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our house three textured ceilings and one part-textured wall. Each one of them a different texture and all of them hideous!

A quick Google suggests these could be removed by spraying with water and then scraping off. Anyone done that with success?

Also, it seems to mostly be for the 'popcorn' style texture - will it work for the textures I have? One is drippy, one is swirly, one is just a mess and the wall is bubbly. See photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XaggpU1Wsmonigc73

And I presume they'll all need testing for asbestos…

Cheers

Pete

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Might be better with a coating/ skim over the top rather than trying to scrape them all off the ceilings?.

I will do if I have to, but I think that'd mean getting a professional in and we've got so much work to do in this house that I'm keen to do anything I can do myself before I hand over to the professionals.

They're actually fairly small surfaces so I'm happy to put in some elbow grease if means I can do it myself.

Need to scrape off with scraper. Plasterers will take less time than you to scrape off but may not be as good as you doing it in the odd place because they'll go quickly!

Sponsored Links
I scraped off a polycel type "artex" using a steamer with minimal damage but also had the room skimmed anyway as the walls were shot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back